Mexican Quinoa is a super healthy and flavorful side dish recipe that easy to make. Perfect healthy side for taco night or can be a burrito bowl with grilled chicken.
Mexican Quinoa is a great alternative to traditional Mexican rice. This protein and fiber-packed dish is a great side dish or fill a bowl with it and add chicken for a delicious burrito bowl making meal prep easy.
Moreover, this is a great recipe to include in your weekly meal prep. It is super healthy and full of protein. Plus, the longer it sits the better it gets. So make a batch on Sunday and have a quick and healthy lunch dish all week.
I personally love having a quinoa salad in the fridge for the week. Some of my other quinoa salads include Red Quinoa Beet Salad which uses store-bought vacuum sealed beets. I also love simple and quick Easy Vegetable Quinoa Salad that incorporates the veggies and beans of your choice.
How to Make Mexican Quinoa
The recipe and instructions couldn’t be simpler. Just cook the quinoa, allow to cool slightly, then toss all ingredients together… done! Make-ahead and refrigerate. Works great served cold or a room temperature.
Mexican Quinoa is great to include as a side dish for a barbecue as well. Tasty and full of flavor, this healthy side would also be great to serve along with hamburgers for tailgating or a football game.
So, if you’re looking to make your own taco seasoning rather than using the store bought, check out this easy homemade taco seasoning recipe.
So easy and make-ahead, you are going to love serving this dish. And you can feel good about serving healthy, protein-filled food. Enjoy!
- 1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 cup corn (fresh or canned)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (like McCormicks)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Cook the quinoa: bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add quinoa, reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes until al dente. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, add cooled quinoa, corn, black beans, green onions, cheese, and tomatoes. Toss gently to combine. Add in olive oil, taco seasoning, salt, and lemon juice, and toss to combine. Taste for seasonings. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Also, be sure to sign up for my newsletter and never miss a recipe!