Delicious and simple Green Chili Chicken Burritos are a great weeknight dinner made with diced chicken, cream cheese, and canned green chili enchilada sauce. With just a few ingredients and little prep, you can have an easy meal that is tasty enough to entertain with.
This is one of those recipes that you are going to make again and again, guaranteed! It is simply that delicious.
If you’ve never cooked Mexican food before or don’t like spicy dishes, I urge you to give this recipe a try. It is the perfect combination of flavors and the doctored up filling and sauce mellow the heat from the green chilis. It’s perfect for the whole family.
Make-Ahead Mexican Food
Mexican food is one of the tastiest cuisines out there! It is simple to make and full of flavor. You can even make it ahead with these delicious and tasty recipes:
- Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas are made with red enchilada sauce and corn tortillas. You can use rotisserie chicken here or make the chicken in your slow cooker.
- Green Enchilada Casserole with Ground Turkey is a tasty meal that you can put together ahead of time and bake before serving.
- Mexican food can be healthy too! Simple recipes like Mexican Chicken Fajita Bowl and Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas are simple one pan dinners that are full of flavor and low on fat and calories. Just prep ahead and toss on a sheet pan. Also, don’t miss this simple recipe for homemade taco seasoning to go with all of these tasty dishes.
- Lastly, if you are looking for an easy make-ahead Mexican side dish, there are some great options that are also healthy. Mexican Quinoa is so easy to make and can keep in the fridge for up to a week, great for meal prep!
- Another great option is Mexican-Style Pan Roasted Vegetables and Beans. Super healthy, you are going to love this flavorful side dish.
How to Make Green Chili Chicken Burritos
To start, you are going to need chicken. This recipe calls for 4 cups of diced chicken. This can be store-bought rotisserie chicken, which is the easiest. You could also place about 2 large chicken breasts in a slow cooker to cook through. Or just bake the chicken for about 20-25 minutes at 425 until cooked through and dice up to yield roughly 4 cups.
Add the diced cooked chicken to a bowl along with cream cheese, diced roasted green chilis, cheese, and seasonings. If you are worried the chilis are too spicy, know that they will mellow when baked and combined with the cream cheese. Mix the filling until combined.
Roll the filling into the burrito-sized tortillas and place seam down in a casserole dish. There should be enough filling for 6 tortillas.
Next, make the sauce to smother the burritos.
Green Chili Enchilada Sauce
For this recipe, I’m using canned enchilada sauce. However, I have doctored it up so it tastes less canned with a more mellow flavor.
To start, make a rue by melting butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until it’s a light golden brown color. Pour in the chicken broth and canned green enchilada sauce and bring to a simmer.
And that’s it! Simple, yet it totally transforms the sauce. Next, pour the sauce over the burritos and sprinkle with cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then, remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with diced green onions before serving (optional).
For me, this is a meal in itself. I serve mine with sour cream, diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce. However, for a party I suggest serving with traditional Mexican rice or Mexican Street Corn Salad.
Be sure to comment below if you try this recipe. Enjoy!
Green Chili Chicken Burrito
- 4 cups diced chicken (rotisserie chicken works well here)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounce can diced green chilis
- 2 cup shredded mexcian cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 flour tortillas, burrito sized
Green Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can green chili enchilada sauce
- sour cream and diced green onions for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 13 casserole dish and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the diced chicken, cream cheese, green chilis, 1 cup of shredded cheese, and salt. Mix well to combine. Scoop 1/6th of the mixture into the center of a tortilla and flatten slightly. Fold in sides of the tortilla and roll into a burrito. Place in the baking dish seam side down. Repeat with remaining filling and tortillas.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat until melted. Whisk in the flour and cook until lighly browned. Add in the chicken broth and can of green chili enchilada sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook for two minutes. Pour green chili sauce over the burritos and sprinkle on the remaining cup of cheese.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 30 mintues. Remove foil and bake for 15 mintues. Let sit for five minutes before serving.
Love Easy Recipes? Me Too!
Sign up Now and Never Miss a Simple and Delicious Recipe!