Homemade Pancake Mix is a great recipe to make ahead and have on hand so you can make fluffy and delicious pancakes whenever you want! Better than boxed mix and so easy to make!
Never by store-bought pancake mix again with this easy recipe for DIY pancake mix! This dry pancake mix recipe is so simple to make ahead so you can have fluffy and delicious pancakes anytime with a lot less work.
You can use this easy homemade pancake mix recipe to make my simple Sheet Pan Pancakes from Mix, Pumpkin Pancakes with Pancake Mix recipe or these easy Pancake Mix Muffins! And if you love delicious breakfast treats, don’t miss these Lemon Ricotta Muffins or my Blueberry Banana Oat Bars!
Did you know you can also use pancake mix to make banana bread? Be sure to check out my easy and delicious recipe for Pancake Mix Banana Bread!
You’ll Love this Homemade Pancake Mix!
If you love the convenience of store-bought pancake mix but hate the price and additives, then you definitely want to make this recipe for Homemade Pancake Mix!
Made with just 4 basic ingredients, this is best way to make fluffy pancakes. Just mix all of the dry mix ingredients together ahead of time and you’ll be able to have pancakes with a lot less work anytime.
All you need for this recipe is flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Just whisk together the simple ingredients and store in an airtight container in your pantry for a delicious easy breakfasts staple.
Homemade Pancake Mix is such a convenient recipe to prep ahead and have on hand. Personally, my least favorite part of making homemade pancakes is measure out the dry ingredients – here, you do it ahead!
When it’s time to eat, simply whisk together a few fresh ingredients including milk, oil, and an egg with a cup of the mix and you’re all set. Plus, these turn out fluffy and perfect every time, with no buttermilk or powdered milk required!
So, if you love pancakes but hate the work that goes into making them from scratch, whip up a batch of your own homemade pancake mix. You’re going to love it!
Dry Pancake Mix Recipe Ingredients
- Flour: all purpose flour is ideal for this recipe. Be sure to weigh your flour to get the most accurate measurement.
- Baking Powder: baking powder, not baking soda, is ideal here. It works perfect in getting the fluffiest pancakes ever.
- Sugar: regular granulated sugar works best in this homemade pancake mix recipe. If you are looking to cut back on sugar, you can reduce the amount used or omit it entirely.
- Salt: add a bit of kosher salt to balance out the flavors of the pancake mix.
- Milk: you can use whatever milk you have on hand. I like to use 2% or even almond milk for this recipe.
- Egg: one large egg is needed. Room temperature eggs are best.
- Oil: you can use any flavorless oil your prefer. I like to use vegetable oil or canola oil here.
- Butter: if you have a great nonstick pan, you don’t need to butter it before frying the pancakes. However, it is recommended as it adds a rich flavor and crust, plus it ensures that the batter will not stick.
- Mix ins: add in additional mix ins to make the pancakes extra special. You can use blueberries, diced bananas, lemon juice, colorful sprinkles, cinnamon, or even chocolate chips and make delicious chocolate chip pancakes.
- Maple syrup: top off your delicious homemade pancake mix pancakes with some pure maple syrup or pancake syrup.
How to Make Homemade Pancake Mix
This recipe couldn’t be easier to make ahead and have on hand. To start you are going to need a large airtight container to store the homemade pancake mix in.
Step 1: mix dry ingredients
Start by whisking together the all purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix until well combined and that’s it!
Step 2: store in an airtight container
Store the dry pancake mix in an airtight container in a cool dry place, like your pantry. This mixture will keep for up to six months.
Step 3: add in wet ingredients
When you are ready to make pancakes, just whisk together milk, an egg, and oil (you can also add a teaspoon of vanilla extract if you’d like). Then, add in a cup of the prepared dry pancake mix and whisk until well combined.
Let the pancake mix sit in the bowl for 5 minutes or so while the grill heats. This will give the dry mixture time to absorb the ingredients. You should have a fairly thick batter.
Step 4: cook the pancakes
Heat a nonstick skillet or hot griddle over medium heat. Rub the pan with butter. Once the butter melts, scoop on ¼ cup batter being careful not to crowd the pan.
Cook until the pancake batter starts to bubble. Carefully flip the pancake and cook the other side until lightly browned. Serve immediately.
One cup of dry pancake mix will make about 6-7 pancakes. You can easily double the amount of pancakes by doubling the amounts of ingredients used.
- Storage: store your dry pancake mix in an airtight container in a cool dry place, like a pantry, for up to six months.
- Prepping Pancakes: once the batter is made for the pancakes, let it sit for about five minutes before cooking.
- Pan Temperature: the ideal temperature to cook pancakes is 350 degrees, which is about medium heat. You can test the pan by sprinkling a few drops of water on the surface, if the drops sizzle and evaporate quickly, your pan should be hot enough.
- Quantity: one cup of pancake mix will make about 6-7 eight-inch pancakes using a ¼ cup measuring scoop.
- Sheet Pan Pancakes: this is a great recipe to use for making Sheet Pan Pancakes. Just follow the directions substituting boxed mix for this homemade pancake mix recipe.
Pancake Mix vs Flour
One common question I hear “is pancake mix flour?” The simple answer to this is that while dry pancake mix is made with flour, it is not simply just flour.
Dry pancake mix is a combination of dry ingredients that is used to make pancakes and other baked goods. Pancake mix is more than just flour: it is a combination of flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
Recipes Using Pancake Mix
Pancake mix is a great substitute for dry ingredients in many baked good recipes. It is a quick and easy way to make so many different recipes such as:
Frequently Asked Questions
The ideal temperature to cook pancakes is medium heat, which is typically around 350 degrees on an electric griddle or stovetop. Maintaining a consistent medium heat is important to ensure the pancakes cook evenly and develop a golden brown color without burning. To do this preheat your nonstick skillet over medium heat. You can also test the heat by sprinkling a few drops of water on the surface – if the drops sizzle and evaporate quickly, it’s a good indication that the pan is at the right temperature.
Homemade dry pancake mix is a simple combination of all purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. This can be made ahead of time and kept in an airtight container until ready to use. You will need to mix in wet ingredients such as milk, egg, and oil when ready to make pancakes.
Customize your homemade pancake mix by adding in some delicious mix ins to the batter. You can even add these on top of the pancakes as they are cooking.
1. fresh or frozen berries
2. chocolate chips
3. chopped nuts
4. shredded coconut
5. sliced bananas
6. lemon zest
7. spices like cinnamon or nutmeg
8. chopped cooked bacon
Store homemade or store-bought dry pancake mix in an airtight container in a cool dry place, like a pantry, for up to six months.
More Breakfast Recipes!
Homemade Pancake Mix Recipe
- mixing bowl
- storage container
- 6 cups all purpose flour (840 grams)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together well. Pour into a sealed container and store in a cool dry place.
To Use the Pancake Mix to Make Pancakes
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together ¾ cup of milk, 1 large egg, and 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Whisk in 1 cup of the pancake mix until well combined (it will be slightly lumpy).
- To make pancakes, preheat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat the bottom of the pan with butter. Once the skillet is warmed, pour on the desired amount of pancake mix. Once the pancakes are bubbly, flip and cook the other side until done.