Easy to make Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole will have you excited for the morning. This tasty recipe comes together in no time and feeds a crowd with just a few ingredients. Great for brunches or holidays, freezer-friendly, and makes great leftovers! Don’t miss this recipe.
Overnight breakfast casseroles are an entertainers dream! Because they are easy to make and guaranteed to satisfy, these are great recipes to have on hand for any occasion. Whether you go sweet or savory with your breakfast casseroles, it’s a win-win for you and your guests.
How to Make Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
The flavors of this Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole just can’t be beat. The pork sausage mixed with creamy potatoes and gooey cheddar cheese make for the tastiest morning treat. In particular, this recipe makes for great leftovers too and gives you a hearty and delicious breakfast to serve all week long.
To make this dish, start by cooking the sausage in a large nonstick pan. Even more, this recipe is totally customizable as well. You can add spicy pork sausage, chicken breakfast sausage, or even a vegetarian sausage if you’d like.
Next, remove the sausage and crisp up the hash browns. As for the hash browns in this breakfast casserole, you could use cubed frozen potatoes, or Ore-Ide Potatoes O’Brien with chopped bell pepper or onion. Also, you really can’t mess this dish up. When cooking the hash browns, you just need to cook them through. Likewise, don’t worry about achieving the perfect golden hash brown that’s on it’s package. It’s one thing I’ve never been able to do, and the flavor and taste is just as good.
Place the hash browns, sausage, and the cheese in a baking dish. Toss to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and seasonings. Lastly, pour egg mixture over the hash browns and top with remaining shredded cheese. You can either bake or cover and refrigerate for later.
Furthermore, you can add this Sausage Hash Brown Casserole to a tortilla and roll up for a tasty breakfast burrito. And who doesn’t love a breakfast burrito?! Personally, I love to serve mine with a generous helping of hot sauce (usually Cholula) along with some fresh chopped green onions and served in this Staub Baking Dish from Amazon.
Simple and Easy Breakfast Casserole
Serve this tasty Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole for your next potluck, brunch, holiday breakfast, Easter, or just make a batch on the weekend to reheat for the week. Moreover, this dish is tasty enough to add to your Christmas Morning lineup!
Above all, with just a few ingredients, you can have a delicious breakfast. Besides being tasty, this recipe is also stress free! Check out this recipe today and comment below on how you liked it!
Love breakfast casseroles? Check out my other favorites:
Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound pork sausage like Jimmy Dean’s
- 1 30 ounce bag frozen shredded hash browns like Ore Ida
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon mustard powder
- chopped green onions for serving, optional
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat, brown the pork sausage breaking up with a spoon while it cooks, about 6 minutes. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium high heat, add in the oil and and sprinkle on the hash browns and ½ a teaspoon of salt. Cook until potatoes are soft, lightly browned, and cooked through.
- In a large casserole dish or 9 x 13 baking pan, toss together the hash browns, sausage, and 1 ½ cups of cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, ½ teaspoon of kosher salt, pepper, and mustard powder. Pour over the sausage hash brown mixture and sprinkle on remixing ½ cup of cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. (Can also be baked immediately) When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes until eggs are set. Serve with chopped green onions.
At what point can this be frozen?
You can freeze after baking.
Made this for my kids they loved it! Can you double the recipe in the same pan?
So happy you loved it! I’ve never tried that but I’m sure that would work. Just be sure to add to the baking time.
Can I prepare the two nights before Christmas morning to bake?
Yes you can!
Delicious! I used Simply Potatoes shredded hashbrowns bc I already had them. Perfect!!!!
So happy you loved it! It’s one of my favorite breakfast casseroles 🙂
Hi! This sounds delicious! How much oil do you use to cook the hash browns? Thank you!!
Hi Susan. If you are using a regular skillet, you will need about a tablespoon of oil. However, if you are using a nonstick pan, you can get away with probably just a teaspoon or so. I hope you love this recipe. Let me know how it goes!
I am always looking for breakfast casseroles for when family comes to visit! I can tell that this is going to become a family favorite!
Reading the list of ingredients I realize that it has all my favorites in one recipe! What can possibly go wrong with pork, cheese, potatoes, and eggs together, right? Love it!
I can see how this delicious casserole can feed a whole family. Fantastic breakfast option that must be so flavorful and delicious! And the fact that it is freezer-friendly just makes it perfect.
This casserole looks so delicious and perfect for weekend brunch!