Decadent, easy, and make ahead – sounds like a winner to me. Creme Brûlée French Toast is the best of everything deliciousness has to offer, and no cooking torch required! This recipe is truly the ultimate make ahead breakfast.
My mom actually started making Creme Brûlée French Toast from a recipe she found years ago. It has been modified and adapted, and has become a staple at any of my family’s get togethers. After one taste, you’ll see why. The best part is that it is totally make ahead and completely goof proof.
Creme Brûlée French Toast
It all starts with melting butter, corn syrup, and brown sugar to form the decadent creme brûlée style topping (which actually goes on the bottom of the pan). Then you layer on thick pieces of Challah bread and add a rich egg custard on top. The whole thing sits in the fridge overnight and all you have to do in the morning is bring it to room temperature and pop it in a 350 degree oven. The aroma itself is incredible, but the taste will send you over the moon.
When I tell you that this dish is a staple, I mean it. I serve this baked French toast almost every brunch I host as well as Christmas morning breakfast, Easter brunch, and pretty much once a weekend month just for good measure. My kids devour it and it’s great as leftovers too… if you have any left over. You can serve it with a side of warm maple syrup, fresh berries, or a dollop of whipped cream.
If you want to lighten the recipe up, you could even substitute fat free half & half for the regular half & half. I have done this many times before with equally good results. Serve with berries and you have a semi guilt free breakfast!
Another great thing about this dish is that you can make it up to 24 hours in advance. So no waiting until the kids go to bed so you can put together your make ahead breakfast. This one can be done during the day, just make sure you plan for it to refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
Creme Brûlée Baked French Toast
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half & half could use fat free
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf of Challah bread could substitute French bread
- Melt butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Once melted, remove from heat and whisk to combine the mixture until smooth and fully incorporated. Pour into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Cut 6 (1 inch thick) slices from the bread and arrange them in a single layer in the baking dish, squeezing them to fit snuggly.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, half & half, vanilla, and salt. Pour over the bread. Gently push bread down to make sure the custard covers all pieces. Cover the bread mixture and refrigerate for at least 8 hours. (Can make up to 24 hours in advance).
- When ready to eat, bring bread to room temperature (about 30 minutes). Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake uncovered until the bread is puffed and the edges are pale and golden, approximately 40 minutes.
- Allow bread to sit for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with warm maple syrup.
Creme Brûlée French toast is nothing short of amazing! So easy to make, it’s a true crowd pleaser that your guests will request again and again. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
For other great make ahead breakfast dishes, check out:
P.S. Be sure to sign up for weekly recipes and follow us on FACEBOOK!