This Everything Bagel Sausage Bake has all of the breakfast flavors you love in an easy to make casserole. Filled with eggs, sausage, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and everything bagels, this is sure to be your new favorite way to make breakfast for a crowd.
This simple and delicious breakfast casserole is the perfect way to use up those extra bagels you have on hand. Add pork sausage, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and eggs, and you have a complete breakfast bake that’s ready in no time.
Everything Bagel Sausage Bake is a great breakfast casserole because it allows for many substitutions. Additionally, you can make it ahead and refrigerate overnight, or just bake immediately after putting it together. This is a also a fun dish to serve for as breakfast for dinner, and it’s hearty enough to satisfy everyone.
This is a great dish to make if you have leftover bagels on hand. However, this will only work with plain or savory bagels such as poppyseed, everything, garlic, cheese, or sesame. If you happen to have leftover sweet bagels, be sure to try my Overnight Bagel French Toast Casserole that’s made with a cream cheese maple glaze.
Everything Bagel Sausage Bake Recipe
Putting together this bagel breakfast casserole couldn’t be easier. If you are making ahead for the morning, you can prep the casserole the night before and then just bake before serving. Be sure to add a couple of minutes to the bake time so that the casserole has time to warm through.
To start, you will need to cook the pork sausage. Here, I recommend using one pound of Jimmy Dean’s breakfast sausage. However, you could use other flavored breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, turkey sausage, or even half of pound of bacon instead. Once the sausage is cooked, simply drain on a paper towel to remove any excess grease.
Next, spray your casserole dish or 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Add in the cubed bagels and sprinkle on diced green onions and shredded cheddar cheese.
Toss these ingredients together then prepare the egg custard. For the custard, simply beat together eight large eggs with two cups of milk and a pinch of kosher salt. Pour the custard over top of the bagel mixture and press down to soak.
Lastly, sprinkle on the remaining shredded cheddar cheese and dollop with 4 ounces of cubed cream cheese. You can then either bake immediately, or cover and refrigerate for later.
If baking immediately, place uncovered in a 350 degree oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until puffed and golden. Baking later? Let the everything bagel sausage bake sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before baking or add an additional 5 to 10 minutes to the cook time.
Bagel Casserole Substitutions
If you don’t have all of the exact ingredients for this recipe, don’t worry! You can still make it using what you have.
For the bagels, you can substitute any savory or plain bagels you have. No bagels? Use day old French bread, Italian bread, or even sourdough in place.
If you are not a sausage fan or would prefer to use something in its place, there are plenty of options available. You could go vegetarian and use a vegan meat substitute or sautéed veggies. If you do want to use meat, cooked bacon or Italian sausage would be delicious.
As for the cheese, use whatever shredded cheese you have on hand. Pepper jack, Monterey Jack, Swiss, or gruyere would be excellent as well.
Easy Breakfast Casseroles
If you are in need of a simple, make-ahead breakfast casserole, then here are some fan favorites you’re sure to love:
- Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is a delicious savory breakfast bake that’s great with hot sauce.
- Creme Brûlée French Toast has an incredible brown sugar butter topping and is made with day-old challah bread.
- Baked Eggnog French Toast is another make-ahead breakfast bake that’s perfect around the holidays.
- Zucchini Ricotta Ciambella is a traditional Italian breakfast cake that stays moist for days.
- Cannoli Baked French Toast is an easy-to-make dish that’s got all of those cannoli flavors you love.
- Croissant Baked French Toast is topped with cinnamon apples and perfect for the holidays or any special occasion.
- Eggs Benedict Casserole with Hollandaise Sauce is an easy and delicious way to make eggs Benedict for a crowd.
I hope you love this recipe for Everything Bagel Sausage Bake. It’s easy to make and sure to be a crowd favorite. Enjoy!
Everything Bagel Sausage Casserole
- Casserole Dish or 9 x 13 baking dish
- 1 pound pork sausage (like Jimmy Dean's)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 everything-flavored bagels, cubed
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed then softened
- If baking immediately, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the breakfast sausage, breaking up with a spoon, until cooked through and no longer pink. Drain on a paper towel.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and salt.
- Place the cubed bagels in the baking dish along with the cooked sausage, green onions, and 1 cup of shredded cheddar. Toss gently to combine, then pour the egg mixture over top and press down gently to soak all of the bagel pieces. Top dish with remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese and sprinkle on cream cheese cubes.
- If baking immediately, place uncovered dish on the middle rack in the oven and bake until puffed and lightly brown, about 45-50 minutes. Garnish with chopped green onion if desired.