Your new favorite way to use up ripe bananas! This healthy and simple recipe for Blueberry Banana Oat Bars is so easy and tasty. Make ahead and have a delicious and healthful breakfast or snack at any time.
What is it with bananas and avocados that they seem to take forever to ripen and then suddenly turn brown?! I’m still out on what to do with an overripe avocado. As for bananas, I look forward to seeing those brown spots progress.
There are so many delicious breakfast and snack treats you can make with overripe bananas. These Blueberry Banana Oat Bars are definitely one of them.
I came up with the recipe when I had, once again, way too many ripe bananas on my hands. Needing a change from my Classic Banana Bread recipe and my Whole Wheat Banana Muffins (which are both super delicious by the way!) I also decided to incorporate some equally sad looking blueberries I had in the fridge.
This recipe is inspired by those trendy baked oatmeal recipes, which are amazing, by the way. I personally love this recipe for 1 Bowl Baked Oatmeal from Sally’s Baking Addiction. However, what I prefer about mine is that you don’t have to heat it up or serve with milk, you can just grab and go. It’s almost like eating a tasty dessert bar, except that it’s good for you!
Notice that there is no oil or butter used in the recipe… not a mistake! You just don’t need it with the ripe bananas. These bars turn out perfect with no added fat.
What are Banana Oat Bars?
These Blueberry Banana Oat Bars are a cross between oatmeal and a muffin. They are highly portable and completely make ahead, ideal for a grab-and-go healthy breakfast.
Firstly, mash your overripe bananas in a large bowl. Then stir in the brown sugar and egg. This recipe calls for only a 1/4 cup of brown sugar, but you could keep it out entirely if you wanted. Also, you could substitute maple syrup for an equally delicious bar.
Next, stir in the remaining ingredients and pour half the batter into a greased 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch greased baking pan. Sprinkle on the blueberries then cover with the remaining batter.
Let the bars cool before cutting and refrigerating. Alternately, you can freeze them in an airtight container for up to two months.
Tried these bars? Be sure to comment below and let me know how you liked them!
Blueberry Banana Oat Bars
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the bananas, egg, and brown sugar. Add in the oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt, and mix to combine. Pour half of the batter into the pan. Sprinkle the blueberries over the batter then pour the remaining batter over the blueberries.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until bars are set and a toothpick inserted in the bars comes out clean. Let cool slightly before cutting.
- Make ahead and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Can also be frozen for up to two months.
- Feel free to substitute other berries for the blueberries.
- To make gluten-free, use ground up oats in place of the whole wheat flour.
- Make even healthier by adding 2 tablespoons chia seeds and flax seeds to the batter.
- To make vegan, substitute maple syrup for the brown sugar and omit the egg altogether.