Green Enchilada Casserole is a delicious and easy meal, and can be made ahead with ease! With ground turkey, black beans, and mild enchilada sauce, this recipe is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
Green Enchilada Casserole is a cinch to make and so much easier than rolling individual enchiladas. Look for the green enchilada sauce in the ethnic section of your grocery store.
How to Make Enchilada Casserole with Ground Turkey
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, brown the onions and turkey meat in a large skillet or pan over medium high heat. When cooked through, add the drained beans and tomatoes, and the spices.
To make the sauce, whisk together the enchilada sauce, yogurt (could also use sour cream), and the lime juice in a bowl. If you wanted to make homemade sauce, check out this recipe for Green Enchilada Sauce.
Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and assemble the casserole. First spoon 1/2 cup of the sauce on the bottom. Then layer on four corn tortillas (one cut in half) so that the sauce layer is covered.
Next layer on half the meat mixture, then half of the remaining sauce, and a cup of cheese. Repeat, ending with cheese on top.
Bake for 35-40 minutes until bubbly. Alternatively, you could cover and refrigerate the casserole for up to 24 hours before baking. Green Enchilada Casserole can also be frozen for up to a month.
Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Garnish with chopped tomatoes and cilantro (optional).
So yummy and so easy! Great recipe to have on hand and makes for incredible leftovers.
Enjoy! If you love Mexican recipes, be sure to check out my post on Taco Bar Ideas – Mexican Buffet Menu.
Green Enchilada Casserole
- 2 teaspoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (I use McCormick)
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 20 ounces mild green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 12 corn tortillas (3 cut in half)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- diced tomato and chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about three minutes. Add ground turkey, breaking up with spoon, and cook until browned, about ten more minutes. Stir in the salt, taco seasoning mix, canned tomatoes, and beans and cook until warmed through, about one more minute.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the green enchilada sauce, yogurt, and lime juice.
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread 1/4 cup of the sauce mixture on the bottom of the pan. Layer on four of the corn tortillas, using two of the halves to line the sides. Next layer on half of the meat mixture, 1/2 cup of the sauce, and 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat, layering the tortillas, meat, sauce, and topping the mixture with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes, uncovered until bubbly. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped tomatoes and cilantro (optional)
For another easy make-ahead Mexican inspired dish, check out my healthy and delicious Freezer Burritos!
P.S. Be sure to sign up for our Newsletter and follow us on Facebook so you can stay up-to-date on all delicious recipes from This Delicious House!