Mexican Pan Roasted Vegetables and Beans is an easy and healthy side dish to serve at your next dinner. Full of protein and fiber, this is a great dish to include with a Mexican meal or taco bar.
Pan Roasted Vegetables and Beans is such an easy and flavorful dish to include with your meal. Moreover, I like to add taco seasoning to give it some Mexican flavor. Thus, this is great on its own or added to burritos or burrito bowls. Great served warm or at room temperature.
How to Make Easy Pan Roasted Vegetables
Make the entire dish on your stovetop working in batches with each vegetable. Done right, you can get all of the same flavors as you would expect from roasting vegetables in the oven. Firstly, start with the mushrooms. Cook until they start to change color (don’t let them overcook) and set aside in a large bowl when done.
Next, sauté the onions and bell pepper until tender. Add to the bowl with the mushrooms. Here, you just want them tender, not caramelized.
Lastly, sauté the zucchini until lightly charred in spots.
Lastly, toss the zucchini along with the other veggies, beans, and seasoning. Toss to combine and serve warm or at room temperature. Can make ahead and warm prior to serving.
For another delicious pinto bean recipe, be sure to check out my Pasta e Fagioli soup made with pinto beans and bacon.
Mexican-Style Vegetarian Side Dish
I like to serve my pan roasted vegetable and beans in a taco bar or Mexican buffet-style setting and let guests serve themselves. My favorite items to include are Carne Asada Marinaded Flank Steak and my always popular Cream Cheese Bean Dip.
This is a great option to have for vegetarians or those looking to eat healthier. Moreover, it serves as a side dish, burrito filling, or the base of a burrito bowl. Serve with some delicious Pico de Gallo, and you have a healthy and delicious meal all week long too. Enjoy!
Mexican Pan Roasted Vegetables and Beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 24 ounces white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 3 zucchini, chopped
- 2 15 ounce cans pinto beans
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- In a large skillet, heat one tablespoon oil over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until browned, about eight minutes. Add in garlic during last minute of cooking. Pour mushrooms and juices into large bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat another tablespoon of oil over medium high heat. Add in the onion, bell pepper, and ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Cook until soft and tender, about five minutes. Add to the bowl of mushrooms and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the last tablespoon of oil over medium high heat and add in the zucchini and last ½ teaspoon salt. Cook until tender and slightly browned, about six minutes.
- To the zucchini, add in the pinto beans, taco seasoning, and mushroom and onion mixture. Heat until warmed through. Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm or room temperature.
Sign up for the newsletter and never miss a recipe!