Meal prep done right with this simple and delicious Mexican Chicken Fajita Bowl. Served with healthy brown rice with black beans and salsa for an easy meal prep or weeknight dinner done in no time!
Get all of those delicious fajita flavors you crave in a bowl! This meal prep recipe for Mexican Chicken Fajita Bowl is a great make-ahead meal. Perfect for a healthy and easy weeknight dinner, or prep on a Sunday and eat healthy all week.
Sheet Pan Mexican Chicken Fajita Bowl
Easy make-ahead sheet pan recipes are all the rage now, and I get it! Personally I love being able to make everything on a single pan without a lot of fuss. My super simple Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas are still one of my favorite weeknight dinners and also serve as simple meal prep for the week.
Likewise, meal prep bowls are also super popular. People want to eat healthier which means meal prepping. However, you need to ensure that you have healthy choices available in your refrigerator. That’s why I love to make these bowls as an easy grab and go lunch or something healthy to take for work.
To make Mexican Chicken Fajita Bowl even easier, just line a baking sheet with foil for easy clean up. Place your chicken on one side of the pan, bell peppers and onions on the other.
Sprinkle with taco seasoning and a splash of olive oil. I usually just use the McCormick Taco Seasoning that I buy in bulk, however if you prefer to make your own, check out this recipe for homemade taco seasoning.
Bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 20-25 minutes. Let the chicken sit for about five minutes before cutting into strips or bite-sized pieces.
How to Make Healthy Mexican Rice
My simple way to make the rice for this Mexican Chicken Fajita Bowl only requires three ingredients: brown rice, black beans, and salsa. So simple, full of protein, and serves as the perfect base for this fajita bowl!
Just cook the brown rice according to package directions. Add in the black beans and salsa, then toss together.
Love spicy food? Use your spicy salsa. I love that this is totally customizable to your taste buds. However, since this rice is tossed with other ingredients, I would say to go spicier than normal to really enhance the flavors.
Assemble the Mexican Chicken Fajita Bowl
Lastly, assemble your bowls. Keep it simple and just do chicken, bell peppers, and rice. Moreover, you can add all of your favorite Mexican-inspired toppings.
I like to top my bowls with shredded cheddar, sour cream or greek yogurt, lime wedges, cilantro, avocado, and some salsa. Then, just pack up for meal prep and you are good to go!
Love easy meal prep that involves a sheet pan? Me too! Thus, be sure to check out my Meal Prep Salmon and Roasted Broccoli.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe. Comment below if you try it!
Mexican Chicken Fajita Bowl
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 pound chicken breasts (flattened to even thickness)
- 3 bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- optional toppings: shredded cheese, lime wedges, sour cream, and salsa
- Cook brown rice in boiling water according to package directions. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a sheet pan with foil or parchment. Place whole chicken breasts on one half of the sheet pan. Add the bell peppers and onions to the other side. Drizzle the chicken, peppers and onions with oil and sprinkle on taco seasoning. Bake for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Once cooked, tent with foil and set aside for five minutes, then cut chicken into strips.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked brown rice with the black beans and salsa.
- To serve, add a scoop of brown rice and some diced chicken. Serve with toppings and more salsa if desired.
Love Easy Recipes? Me Too!
Sign up Now and Never Miss a Simple and Delicious Recipe!