Curried Couscous is a great side dish that compliments Mediterranean meals and is perfect for barbecues. Microwave the couscous for easy prep and less cleanup!
Curried couscous is an easy side dish that you can put together in about 10 minutes. The entire dish can be made up to a day in advance and lasts in the fridge for about five days. Delicious served on it’s own, over a bed of rice, or alongside a grilled meat.
Easy Mediterranean Side Dish
This dish is a great side to serve at barbecues or with Grilled Chicken Kabob Skewers. Add some hummus and pita bread, and you have a fresh and delicious mediterranean inspired meal in no time.
What I love about Curried Couscous are the Mediterranean flavors and that it’s so versatile. You can add any veggies you have on hand. Grilled asparagus, corn, or cauliflower chunks would be great additions to the this salad. Moreover, toss with garbanzo beans and feta for a hearty meal or great salad topper.
If you love veggie filled sides, be sure to also try my Easy Vegetable Quinoa Salad. This salad is full of delicious Mediterranean flavors as well, and it’s super heart healthy.
Curried Couscous Recipe
Think you don’t like curry powder? The flavors of the curry in this dish are subtle enough that it doesn’t overpower the taste buds.
To make this side dish, simply cook the couscous according to package instructions. Then, toss with the remaining ingredients and serve warm or refrigerator for later.
Also, be sure to get a good quality curry powder like Rani Curry Powder, available on Amazon for a great price.
To switch up flavors, I like to add parsley and feta to this dish sometimes, especially if I have leftovers during the week. Healthy and flavorful, you are going to love Curried Couscous!
- 2 cups whole wheat couscous can use regular couscous as well
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and diced peel removed if desired
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder can add more for deeper flavor
- 1 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place couscous, water, salt, and butter, if using, in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 4 minutes and let sit for one minute. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cucumber, tomatoes, and red onion. Add in couscous. In a small bowl whisk olive oil, curry powder, and lemon juice with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over couscous mixture and toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.