Curried Couscous is a great side dish that compliments Mediterranean meals and is perfect for barbecues. Microwave the couscous for easy prep and less cleanup!
Curried couscous is an easy side dish that you can put together in about 10 minutes. The entire dish can be made up to a day in advance and lasts in the fridge for about five days.
This recipe is perfect served with traditional mediterranean fare like hummus, tzatziki, olives, and grilled chicken. I like to serve it with my Grilled Chicken Kabob Skewers and with a simple Italian Tomato Onion Salad.
Why this recipe is the BEST!
What I love about this dish is that it’s so easy to make and perfect for meal prep or dinner. The couscous makes the perfect base for a chicken bowl and is great topped with meat or grilled veggies.
This entire recipe comes together in minutes! You can save even more time by making the couscous in the microwave and just adding the ingredients.
You can make this with traditional couscous or use whole wheat couscous. I like to use the whole wheat when I can find it, but either are delicious.
Also, if you don’t happen to have a veggie listed here, you can substitute with whatever you have on hand. This is a very forgiving salad that always turns out perfect.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Just a few ingredients needed to make Curried Couscous: couscous, tomato, onions, cucumbers, olive oil, lemon juice, curry powder, butter, and salt and pepper.
- Couscous: here I list using whole wheat couscous, however regular couscous works great too. Use whichever one you have on hand or can find in the store.
- Curry powder: the curry powder makes this dish special. If you don’t have it, you can substitute whatever spices you like. Couscous is so mild, any spices would work fine.
- Veggies: my favorite veggies to include in this couscous are cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onion. You can use whatever variety of raw or roasted veggies you’d like. Things like celery, broccoli, or roasted zucchini or squash would be delicious in here.
Read on to see how easy it is to make this simple and healthful side dish.
How to Make Curried Couscous
This couscous is an easy and healthy side dish that’s ready 10 minutes! Filled with fresh ingredients, you’re going to love this simple recipe.
Step 1: make the couscous. You can do this either on the stove or in the microwave. I love to make this in the microwave and just use the same bowl for the salad. Here, just combine the couscous, water, salt and butter. Mix the couscous and microwave, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Let the couscous sit for a minute, then use a fork to fluff it.
Step 2: make the dressing. The dressing for this couscous is a simple blend of olive oil, lemon juice, curry powder, salt and pepper. In a bowl, whisk together the ingredients. Taste for seasonings.
Step 3: let the couscous cool slightly, then add in the diced cucumber, tomato, and red onion. Feel free to add whatever other ingredients you want like beans or roasted veggies.
Step 4: pour the dressing over the veggies and couscous and toss to combine.
You can serve the couscous warm or refrigerate for later use. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Tips and FAQs
- If making ahead, make sure the couscous is cooled before adding the veggies.
- Curried Couscous is great served warm or chilled.
- Toss in feta, parsley, garbanzo beans, or any other veggies to change up the flavors of this salad.
- This is delicious served with other mediterranean flavors like my grilled chicken kabob skewers below.
Curried couscous can last 4-5 days when properly refrigerated in an airtight container.
Couscous is actually a form of pasta made from semolina flour and water.
Couscous cooks up beautifully in the microwave. Just add equal parts couscous and water to a microwave safe bowl, mix in some butter and kosher salt. Microwave uncovered on high for 4 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
What to serve with curried couscous
This dish is a great side to serve at barbecues or have on hand for easy weekday meal prep. Here are some other great dishes to serve with this recipe:
Greek Chicken Marinade is full of tangy mediterranean flavors like lemon juice and garlic.
Honey Lime Salmon is super simple to make and a great for meal prep.
Parsley Quinoa Chickpea Salad is a delicious and healthy salad full of veggies.
Asian Sesame Salmon is made with soy and garlic, and has so much flavor!
Farro Tabbouleh Salad is another mediterranean favorite and great with this couscous.
Marinated Chicken with a brown sugar balsamic sauce is the perfect chicken marinade.
Curried Chicken Salad Wraps are another delicious curry recipe.
What I love about Curried Couscous are the Mediterranean flavors and that it’s so versatile. You can add any veggies you have on hand. Grilled asparagus, corn, or cauliflower chunks would be great additions to the this salad.
If you love veggie filled sides, be sure to also try my Easy Vegetable Quinoa Salad. This salad is full of delicious Mediterranean flavors as well, and it’s super heart healthy.
- 2 cups couscous regular or whole wheat
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 English cucumber, seeded and diced
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place couscous, water, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and butter, in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high (uncovered) for 4 minutes and let sit for one minute. Use a fork to fluff the couscous and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk olive oil, curry powder, and lemon juice with salt and pepper to taste.
- To the couscous, add the cucumber, tomatoes, and onions. Pour on the curry dressing and toss to combine. Eat warm or refrigerate for later.
- Switch up the flavors of the couscous by adding in feta, olives, or parsley.
- To make vegan, omit the butter.
- This can be eat warm or cold.