Watermelon Feta Salad with mint is a refreshing and easy to make summer salad that is ready in 10 minutes! All you need is a few ingredients to make this sweet and tangy salad that’s great for warm weather days.
This recipe is perfect as a side dish for a barbecue or a refreshing light lunch. Serve with my simple grilled chicken kabobs and you have a delicious and healthy meal everyone will love.
Why this recipe works
The combination of sweet and salty ingredients in this salad is what makes it so special. The salty bite of the feta really brings out the flavors and sweetness of the watermelon. Adding sliced mint leaves gives the recipe an extra depth of flavor.
This is the perfect salad to serve on a warm day. If possible try to use chilled watermelon when making this salad to give it an extra refreshing bite.
The base of this salad is made with just a few ingredients: watermelon, feta, red onions, and mint. For the dressing, you will need olive oil, lime, honey, and salt.
If you are not a mint fan, you can substitute fresh basil instead or leave it out altogether. For the dressing, you can use agave nectar in place of the honey and balsamic in place of the lime juice.
Also, you can change up the salad by adding diced cucumber or melon to it. Just be sure not to put the salad together too far in advance – it is best eaten right after assembling.
How to Make Watermelon Feta Salad with Mint
To make this salad you will need to start with about eight cups of cubed watermelon. This is about an entire mini watermelon, or a half of a large watermelon.
Start by slicing the watermelon in half. Then use a sharp knife to cut off the rind. Cube the watermelon into bite-sized pieces and add to a large serving platter.
From there you can sprinkle on the feta, sliced red onion, and mint.
Then, in a small bowl or jar, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Lastly, pour the dressing directly over the watermelon in the serving bowl.
And that’s it! Done in a few minutes and ready to be devoured. You are going to love how refreshing and delicious the watermelon feta salad is. Enjoy!
- Use chilled watermelon if possible.
- This salad is best eaten right after it is assembled. (To save time, you can cube the watermelon in advance.)
- Sliced basil is a good substitute for the mint.
- Prepare and refrigerate the dressing ahead for quick assembly.
- If serving on a hot day, place the salad platter over a tray of ice to keep it chilled.
Feta is the most popular cheese to pair with watermelon. The salty soft bite of feta cheese pairs perfectly with the sweet crunchy watermelon.
If you happen to get a bland watermelon, pair it with something salty. This will help to bring out the sweetness of the watermelon. Making a watermelon salad with feta is a good way to do this. Or you can sprinkle the watermelon with the popular Mexican spice Tajin for a real treat!
I hope you love this recipe for Watermelon Feta Salad. Be sure to comment below if you try it and let me know how you like it. Follow me on Facebook for more delicious and easy recipes!
Watermelon Feta Salad with Mint
- 8 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced thin
- ¼ cup mint leaves, sliced thin
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the watermelon in a large bowl or platter. Top with crumbled feta, red onion, and mint.
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, and salt. Pour over watermelon salad and serve immediately.
- You can make the salad and dressing ahead of time, but don’t toss together until ready to serve.
- If possible, use chilled watermelon for this salad.
- Not a mint fan? Use basil instead or omit it all together.