Have dinner done in less than 30 minutes with easy Mexican Cheesy Skillet Burritos. Lean ground beef, white rice, salsa, and all of the flavors you love in a burrito, cooked on the stove. It’s the perfect weeknight dinner!
Hands down the tastiest weeknight dinner out there! This quick and simple dish comes together in 30 minutes and has all of the Mexican flavors you crave with less calories and fat.
More Easy One-Pot Meals
Nothing beats being able to make a delicious and healthy dinner in 30 minutes or less. Add the fact that the entire dish cooks in ONE pan or pot, and it’s truly a perfect meal.
I have always been a fan of one pot meals. Less clean up and simple instructions are my kind of dinner. Cheesy Skillet Burritos ranks as one of the tastiest easy skillet dinners out there! Check out some of my other favorites:
Chicken and Broccoli Tortellini may just be one of my most popular recipes ever! Cheesy, hearty, and so easy to make in one pot. Give it a try and this fan-favorite will be your favorite too.
One Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta is another super popular dish that’s made in one pot! Plus, it’s full of protein and made with healthy whole wheat penne pasta. What’s not to love?!
One Pot Shrimp Orzo is a simple and delicious meal that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner but elegant enough to entertain with. Love the bite of the cherry tomatoes and the sharpness of the parmesan. It is a true one pot recipe perfected.
The Best Skillets and Pans for Making One-Pot Meals
For making one-pot dinners, you need a great skillet or cast iron pan. My favorites are the Le Creuset pans. These are truly indestructible and will last you a lifetime. They are pricier but are worth their value in my opinion.
I love my blue Le Creuset Iron Skillet and use it for cooking everything, including Cheesy Skillet Burritos. Another must-have is the Le Creuset Dutch Oven. I have had mine for 15 years and it still looks brand new and I cook with it almost daily. Moreover, it’s perfect for making my Chicken and Broccoli Tortellini mentioned above.
Amazon has also started selling a great line of products similar to Le Creuset. Their brand AmazonBasics includes Pre-seasoned Cast Iron Skillets, as well as this gorgeous white Enameled Cast Iron Pan with Lid. All of these are a fraction of the cost and do a great job for one-pot meals.
Invest in a good skillet and dutch oven now, and you’ll have an excellent vessel for making one-pot dinners every night!
How to Make Skillet Burritos
Skillet Burritos truly couldn’t be easier to make. Start with a heavy cast iron pan over medium high heat.
- Check out my video on Skillet Burritos below and be sure to subscribe to my channel!
Add the diced onion and cook until softened. Cook the meat and then season with taco seasoning. I like McCormick Taco Seasoning (I usually buy a large container of it at Costco). However, if you wanted to make your own seasoning, there is a great recipe for Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning here.
Next, and this is the best part, add in the rice, water, and salsa directly to the pan. YES, you don’t have to cook the rice separately. That’s one less dish to wash. Cover and cook until rice is al dente, about 15-18 minutes.
Fold in the beans (I use black beans, but pinto beans would be great too), corn, and half of the cheese. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese overtop and put the lid back on so the cheese can melt and get all gooey… yum!
I just love that you can serve this straight out of the skillet! Sprinkle your favorite fixings over top. For instance, this is great with green onion, avocado, cilantro, tomatoes, and sour cream or greek yogurt.
Hope you enjoy this recipe and be sure to comment below if you make it and let me know what you think!
Cheesy Skillet Burrito
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion (one small onion)
- 1 pound lean ground beef 93/7 blend
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup white rice
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels canned or frozen work
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- optional toppings: sour cream, cilantro, green onions, avocado, tomatoes
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add in ground beef and use spoon to break up. Cook until no longer pink, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in taco seasoning. Add in rice, salsa, and water, and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat and cover. Cook for 15-18 minutes until rice is tender.
- Stir in beans, corn, and half of the cheese until warmed through. Sprinkle on remaining cheese and cover with lid. Cook for 2-3 more minutes until cheese is melted. Serve with toppings.
Sign up for the newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Love Easy Recipes? Me Too!
Sign up Now and Never Miss a Simple and Delicious Recipe!