Chicken and Broccoli Tortellini is a great recipe to have on hand for weeknight dinners. Simple and healthy, your family will love this recipe and it’s made in one pot for easy clean up.
Creamy, cheesy, and so satisfying. Your family is going to love this easy-to-make recipe for Chicken and Broccoli Tortellini that is done in one pot. Also makes for great leftovers for lunch the next day.
First you need a large pot that can hold all of the tortellini. I personally love to use a good quality dutch oven like this Crock Pot 7 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Round Dutch Oven because it evenly distributes heat, is oven safe, and looks so pretty in the Sapphire Blue color! If you don’t have a good dutch oven, it’s definitely worth the investment… I guarantee you’ll use it all the time! However, you can also make this using a large pot with a heavy bottom.
Check out the VIDEO on How to Make Chicken and Broccoli Tortellini:
How to make Chicken and Broccoli Tortellini
Firstly, in a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook the tortellini according to package directions.
During the last minute of cooking, add in the broccoli.
Drain and set aside. Put the dutch oven back on the stove and heat to medium high. Add in the oil, cut up chicken breast, and seasoning.
When fully cooked, remove chicken from pot and set aside.
To make the rue, return the pot to the stove over medium heat. Add in the butter, garlic, and flour and whisk until flour is light brown color. Add in the milk and bring to a low simmer whisking frequently to prevent burning.
One the sauce has thickened, turn the heat to low and add in parmesan and mozzarella cheese to melt. Lastly, add in the tortellini, broccoli, and cooked chicken to combine.
Serve warm. Makes for great leftovers too. Enjoy!
If you tried this recipe please comment below and let me know what you think!
Chicken and Broccoli Tortellini
- 24 ounces cheese tortellini
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (half a stick)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk I use 2%
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Boil tortellini in a large pot of water according to package directions. Add the broccoli to the water during the last minute of cooking. Drain tortellini and broccoli and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the cut up chicken breast, salt, and onion powder. Cook until slightly browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- In the same pot over medium heat, add the butter, garlic, and flour, whisking until the mixture is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Continue whisking and pour in the milk. Increase heat until milk lightly bubbles and sauce thickens. Lower the heat and stir in the cheeses until they melt. Add in the tortellini, broccoli, and chicken. Serve warm.
P.S. Sign up for the weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe!
Love Easy Recipes? Me Too!
Sign up Now and Never Miss a Simple and Delicious Recipe!