The perfect combination, these Pretzel M&M Oatmeal Cookies hit all the right notes. Sweet, crunchy, chewy, with a slightly salty pretzel bite. Give these a try and you’ll be hooked!
I love to revisit and revise my old cookie recipes. Recently I was inspired to add some not-so-common ingredients to my standard chocolate chip cookie recipe. The result? Pure cookie perfection!
For another fun and festive M&M cookie, don’t miss my St Patrick’s Day Cookies! And, if you love chewy cookies, check out these Coconut Macaroons made with dried fruit and pecans!
Pretzels in a Cookie?
YES! Once you try them, there is no going back. I can promise you this is the best way to add dimension and flavor to your cookie, sans the espresso powder (which I also love!).
The trick to doing this is to lightly crush the pretzels, but don’t crush into a fine powder. Then, add to the batter and also press some additional pretzel pieces on top.
This gives you a great crunch as well as a little extra saltiness to bring out the flavors of the cookie.
Pretzel M&M Oatmeal Cookies Recipe Tips
The batter for this cookie is so simple. First, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the egg and vanilla. Then sift together the dry ingredients and add to wet. Then, fold in the amazing toppings, drop batter on to cookie sheets, and press on any extra M&M’s and pretzel pieces.
Tip 1: These delicious cookies are a great make-ahead treat and can be stored in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container. Always use room temperature butter so that it creams with the sugars.
Tip 2: To reach the desired “creamed” texture you want to beat the butter and sugar until pale, light, and fluffy. This aerates the mixture, providing lift and fullness to the cookies.
Tip3: There is no need to mix the dry ingredients separately. Just add to the wet mixture and stir in.
Tip 4: Don’t over break the pretzels. Place in a ziplock bag and break up with your hands or lightly with a rolling pin.
Tip5: Use a cookie scoop to measure out and scoop the cookies.
These cookies are great to make ahead. Just store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Try some of my other amazing cookies! Triple Chocolate Malted Cookies are to-die-for delicious! And you definitely don’t want to miss my Reese’s Pieces Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies – a true recipe perfected.
Pretzel M&M Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&M’s plus extra for decorating
- 1 cup pretzels, roughly chopped plus extra for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non stick baking pad, set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with an electric mixer. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine. Next, add in the flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips, M&Ms, and chopped pretzels.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to measure out evenly-shaped cookie dough balls. Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart from each other. Press in additional M&Ms and pretzel pieces (optional). Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before moving to cooling rack.
Cathleen @ A Taste of Madness
I love adding pretzels in my cookies to get that perfect sweet and salty combo. This one was no different. I love these cookies!! Thanks so much for the recipe 🙂
I made these Pretzel M&M Oatmeal Cookies with the children and we had a blast. I will be making them again soon.
I really like the salty sweet combo in these cookies. Deliciousness!
Salty and sweet is a great combination for a cookie. Add in chocolate and wow! It’s a taste explosion. I look forward to trying these soon.
Anything with pretzels is good with me. These look amazing.