Easy and moist Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake has a sweet brown sugar layer and a crunchy oat streusel topping. Make ahead and freeze, or keep in the fridge for a delicious snack or breakfast treat.
This recipe for Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake has the best of all worlds. Warming pumpkin spice flavors, a tasty brown sugar filling, and a crunchy sweet streusel topping. Great served as an afternoon snack or a delicious breakfast treat.
I like to bake this coffee cake in an aluminum baking pan so it cooks more evenly throughout. For years I have used the same Cuisinart 9-Inch Chef’s Classic Nonstick Bakeware Square Cake Pan – which you can get on Amazon for less than $10! The nonstick surface has held up great and there is no reason to buy a more expensive baking pan in my opinion.
Layered Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake
Making this layered treat couldn’t be simpler. Moreover, it’s an excellent cake to have on hand for cooler weather and when guests come over.
Firstly, make the batter for the coffee cake by mixing together the wet ingredients with a handheld mixer and then fold in dry ingredients. (If you wanted to use pumpkin pie spice, you could swap out the spices in the batter for two teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice.)
Spread half the batter into the bottom of the baking pan using a rubber spatula to smooth.
Secondly, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon for the filling and sprinkle over the bottom layer of batter in the pan.
Dollop on the remaining batter and use a rubber spatula to smooth over top of the filling.
Use gently force to spread the batter so you don’t move around the cinnamon sugar layer.
Lastly, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, oats, and butter for the streusel topping and sprinkle the streusel over the batter.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes before serving.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you try it, be sure to comment below how you liked it. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 9 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, butter, pumpkin, and eggs using a handheld mixer. Add in the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. Stir to combine. Set aside the batter.
- In a small bowl, toss together the brown sugar and cinnamon for the filling. Pour half of the batter into the bottom of the greased baking pan using a rubber spatula to smooth. Sprinkle the filling over the batter in the pan. Top with the remaining batter, using a spatula to spread.
- In the small bowl, combine the brown sugar, oats, and butter for the streusel. Use hands to sprinkle the streusel over the top of the coffee cake. Bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack before serving.