Healthy, delicious, and satisfying Healthy Turkey Chili with Hominy and Beans is so easy to make and packed full of protein. The chili makes for great leftovers or served over a bowl of whole wheat pasta.
Healthy Turkey Chili with Hominy is an excellent and fast weeknight meal or make-ahead meal that the whole family will love. Serve by itself with plain greek yogurt, and tortilla chips, or serve over a plate of whole wheat pasta topped with shredded cheddar.
If you’ve never used hominy before, this recipe will make you fall in love with it! You can find hominy in the canned vegetable aisle.
How to Make Healthy Turkey Chili
The ingredients for this recipe are so easy too. Most of them you probably have in your pantry already.
Heat up oil in a big pot like this Le Creuset Dutch Oven over medium high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, about five minutes, then add in the spices and cook for another minute.
Push the onion and bell peppers to the side and add in the ground turkey, breaking it up with a spoon. Cook until browned, about eight minutes.
Drain the beans, hominy, and corn, and rinse. Add to the pot along with the undrained crushed tomatoes.
Lastly, bring chili to a low boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
Serve with a dollop of plain greek yogurt, crushed tortilla chips, and cilantro. Or serve over pasta with cheddar.
Additionally, Healthy Turkey Chili with Hominy can also be made completely ahead ahead and reheated before serving with excellent results. Enjoy!
Healthy Turkey Chili with Hominy
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced (about ½ a large onion)
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes (or two 15 ounce cans)
- plain greek yogurt, tortilla chips, and cilantro for topping (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add in the onions and bell peppers and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the spices (chili powder, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder) and cook for another minute. Use a spoon to make a well in the middle of the pan and add in the ground turkey, breaking up with spoon. Cook for 8-10 minutes until browned.
- Drain and rinse the beans, hominy, and corn. Add to the pot along with the crushed tomatoes (undrained). Bring mixture to a low boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer on medium low heat for 15 minutes. Serve topped with plain greek yogurt, tortilla chips, and cilantro (optional.)
For another awesome ground turkey recipe, check out my Cheesy Taco Pasta! Have lots of ground turkey in your freezer? Here are my Top 10 recipes for ground turkey that are perfect to use up those Costco buys.
This was the perfect weeknight meal for our family! It was super simple, filling, kid-friendly, satisfying and delicious!
My kids love it too! Thanks for the comment
I can’t wait for the weather to cool off so I can start making chili and soup recipes. This will be one of the first things I try as it looks delicious!
This chili is perfect for the cooler weather we are having – thank you so much! So easy and comforting.
This is such a quick and delicious meal idea. Definitely a comfort meal for busy days.
The perfect weeknight dinner for sure! 🙂
This turkey chili was so flavorful and easy to prepare! Definitely a repeat recipe!