Delicious bite-sized Chicken Parmesan Casserole will be your family’s new favorite meal. Crispy, tender, nugget-sized morsels of chicken in a flavorful marinara sauce topped with melted gooey cheese.
Bite-sized Chicken Parmesan Casserole will be your new way to serve this classic Italian dish. By making the chicken bite-sized, it’s easy to serve, portion, and kids will love that it’s just their size.
But don’t throw away the left over breadcrumbs from the dredging. Instead toss them with broccoli (cauliflower or asparagus would also be great) and roast for a complete meal.
You could also serve the Chicken Parmesan Casserole over pasta. Yum! Also, feel free to substitute the homemade marinara sauce for your favorite jarred sauce.
How to Make Bite-Sized Chicken Parmesan Casserole
Step 1: Make the Marinara Sauce
Firstly, you need to make the simple marinara sauce. Alternatively, you could used jarred sauce. To make, in a medium saucepan, sauté the onions in oil over medium high heat. Add in the garlic and salt.
Stir in canned tomato sauce and Italian seasonings, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and let sit while you prepare the chicken.
Step 2: Prepare the Chicken
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spoon about ¼ cup of the marinara sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish (I used a 9 x 9 Pyrex Baking Pan).
Secondly, prepare your dredging mixtures. Combine the flour and salt in the first bowl, eggs in the second bowl, and Panko breadcrumbs with parmesan in the third bowl.
Heat ¼ cup of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in thirds, put the chicken in the flour, shake off excess, add to egg mixture, ending with breadcrumbs. Brown the chicken in the skillet on each side for about 2 minutes.
Step 3: Prepare the Chicken Parmesan Casserole
Remove the chicken and add to the prepared casserole dish. Continue working, adding more oil as necessary, until all of the chicken is browned and in the casserole dish.
Lastly, pour the marinara sauce over the chicken and sprinkle on the mozzarella.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, uncovered, until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted. For a golden crust, broil for 1-2 minutes on high heat. Lastly, let sit for 5 minutes on a wire rack before serving.
Step 4: Roast the Broccoli (optional)
If serving with broccoli, on a sheet pan toss the leftover breadcrumbs from the dredging mixture with broccoli florets, salt, and oil.
Roast in the oven with the Chicken Parmesan Casserole for about 15 minutes or until desired doneness. Serve alongside the casserole.
Such an easy and fun dinner to put together. Give this Chicken Parmesan Casserole with Roasted Broccoli a try tonight… you won’t be disappointed!
Bite-Sized Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped (about half a medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¾ cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan, shredded
- ¾ cup olive oil, divided
- ¾ cup mozzarella, shredded
- 3 cup broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- leftover breading mixture
- Marinara Sauce: heat oil in medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté until softened, about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and salt and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring so the garlic doesn’t burn. Stir in the tomato sauce and Italian season. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer and cover. Cook on low while preparing the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pour about ¼ cup of prepared marinara sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish, I used a 9 x 9 being pan. Set aside.
- For the Chicken Parmesan heat ¼ cup of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. In three shallow bowls, prepare the dredge for the chicken. In the first bowl combine the flour and salt, in the second bowl whisk together the eggs, in the third bowl combine the Panko, Italian bread crumbs, and Parmesan. Working in batches, take a third of the chicken pieces and dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Put the floured chicken into the egg mixture, shaking off excess, then dredge the chicken in the Panko bread crumb mixture. Brown the chicken in the oil, turning after about 2 minutes. Transfer the chicken to the casserole dish on top of the marinara sauce. Repeat with the remaining chicken, adding oil to the skillet as needed.
- Top all of the chicken in the casserole dish with the remaining marinara sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbly. Broil on high for 1-2 minutes if you want a golden crust on top of the casserole.
- For the Roasted Broccoli, toss the broccoli on a large baking sheet with 2 teaspoons of oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and the remaining Panko bread crumb mixture. Bake at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes. Serve alongside the chicken for a complete meal!