Baked Ravioli with Chicken and Broccoli is a super fast and delicious meal that your family and friends will love. Tasty enough to serve for a party, but simple enough to serve on a weeknight. This easy casserole recipe can be completely made ahead and baked when ready to eat.
You know you have a winner when you can make a satisfying and easy meal that everyone loves to eat! This Baked Ravioli with Chicken and Broccoli is so fast to put together, can be made ahead and baked before dinner, and makes for the most delicious leftovers.
This is a great party food too. Prep the entire dish ahead of time and bake right before your guests arrive. It’s the perfect stress-free meal that everyone will love.
Baked Ravioli with Chicken and Broccoli Substitutions
Baked Ravioli with Chicken and Broccoli also allows for substitutions using whatever you have on hand. You could swap ground beef or turkey for chicken, and use spinach or cauliflower for the broccoli.
As for the ravioli, use whatever flavor you prefer – and it doesn’t have to be the fresh ravioli from the refrigerator section, frozen works great too! The best part, you don’t have to boil the ravioli ahead of time; they cook in the oven and absorb all that delicious sauce!
No boil, easy to make, and completely make-ahead: that’s what makes this dish so great to serve as a weeknight dinner.
How to make baked ravioli with chicken and broccoli
Step 1: Cook the Chicken and Broccoli
Be sure to dice the chicken breast and broccoli into smaller bite-sized pieces. Heat the oil in a large skillet or dutch oven and brown the chicken breast. During the last couple minutes of cooking, add the broccoli and garlic. Cook for about 2-3 minutes longer, just to soften slightly. Remove the mixture from the pan, but don’t clean it out… you’re going to need it to make the béchamel Alfredo sauce!
Step 2: Make the Sauce for the Baked Ravioli
Using the same pan you used for the chicken and broccoli, lower heat and add the butter and flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until light brown and all of the flour has cooked off. About 3 minutes.
Add the milk and bring to a simmer stirring frequently. Lower heat and add in the cheese to melt. Add back in the chicken and broccoli mixture. Remove from heat.
Step 3: Layer and Bake
Add a small amount of the sauce to the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Layer on half of the ravioli (I used spinach ravioli but cheese works great too!), overlapping slightly if needed. Continue, layering on half of the remaining sauce, the remaining ravioli, and finishing with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle on ½ cup of mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and ravioli are tender. Moreover, if you’d like the top to be golden, broil for 2-3 minutes.
Yum! Seriously, Baked Ravioli with Chicken and Broccoli is amazing. Give it a try tonight! And for another delicious and easy dinner, be sure to check out my Chicken Parmesan Casserole!
Baked Ravioli with Chicken and Broccoli
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 chicken breast, diced into small bite-sized pieces (about ¾ pound breast)
- 2 cups broccoli florets, diced into small bite-sized florets
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups milk 2% or whole is preferable
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella, divided
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan
- 28 ounces ravioli (fresh or frozen is fine) (do not boil ahead of time)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add diced chicken and cook until slightly browned (about 5-6 minutes). Add in the broccoli florets, garlic, and salt. Cook until broccoli has softened slightly, about 2-3 minutes. Remove chicken and broccoli from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk the flour into the butter and cook until the mixture is golden, about 2-3 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk and bring the mixture to a simmer then stir in 1 cup of mozzarella and all of the parmesan. Let simmer until the cheese has melted and sauce has thickened. Add in the chicken and broccoli mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce onto the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Lay half of the ravioli in a single layer (overlapping slightly if necessary) on the bottom of the baking dish, then top with half of the remaining sauce. Repeat with remaining ravioli and remaining sauce. Top with remaining ½ cup of mozzarella cheese and bake 25-30 minutes until sauce is bubbly and ravioli are tender.
- If you want a golden top to your dish, broil for 2-3 minutes on high. Let dish sit for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with basil leaves, optional.
I hope you have enjoyed this recipe. Please comment below if you have made it. Also, sign up for This Delicious House’s weekly newsletter and get easy and fun recipes and party ideas to your inbox!
For another easy make ahead casserole, check out my Green Enchilada Casserole with Ground Turkey.
P.S. Be sure to sign up for the Newsletter and follow on FACEBOOK!