Shrimp Fried Brown Rice is a quick and healthy weeknight dinner that’s full of flavor. Use frozen shrimp, peas, and corn to make this easy shrimp fried rice with brown rice. It’s an updated healthy version of a classic Chinese takeout dish.
Sometimes you just crave Chinese takeout… and for good reason, it’s delicious! However, my version of Shrimp Fried Brown Rice may have you rethinking your delivery call.
This dish is so simple. You could use regular white rice with it, but the brown rice gives such a nice nutty texture and it holds better for leftovers.
Shrimp Fried Brown Rice is made with frozen peas and corn, but use fresh if you have it. Also, you can keep the shrimp whole or cut it into bite-sized pieces.
And if you love a good rice and peas combination, check out this Mushroom Peas Risotto. Read on to see how easy it is to make homemade Shrimp Fried Brown Rice!
Equipment needed to make fried rice
Traditionally, Chinese fried rice dishes are made in a wok. A wok is a deep round bottomed pot that is made to conduct heat quickly.
While a wok is a great item to have when making fried rice, it is not necessary. Here, I recommend using a very large frying pan (preferably nonstick) or a cast iron skillet for making the shrimp fried brown rice.
This fried rice is excellent using whatever veggies or proteins you have on hand. Not a shrimp fan? You can make this using diced chicken, thin cuts of beef, or cubed tofu. Just be sure to cook the protein completely.
As for veggies, you can add whatever diced veggies you have on hand. If you are using veggies that need to cook to soften, be sure to add them with the onion so they have time to cook. Frozen veggies, can be added once the onion has softened.
How to Make Shrimp Fried Brown Rice
This is a quick and easy recipe that’s great for a weeknight dinner. You can use leftover rice or make it fresh. If you are making fresh brown rice, simply cook a cup of rice grains in two cups of water for about 40 minutes.
Or, if you prefer white rice, you can always substitute that. If you are using leftover rice, you will need about three cups of rice total for this dish.
Easy Fried Rice Sauce
This recipe comes together quick, so it’s a good idea to have the sauce ready to go. This fried rice sauce recipe uses three common ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and fridge.
To make fried rice sauce, you will need just three ingredients: soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger paste. Simple whisk together the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside while you prepare the fried rice.
Ginger paste is a great ingredient that you can usually find in the produce section in the grocery store. If you can’t find ginger paste, you can substitute freshly grated ginger.
Assembling Shrimp Fried Brown Rice
Firstly, heat your large nonstick skillet or Nonstick Wok over medium heat. Add in one tablespoon of canola oil and cook the shrimp.
Flip the shrimp to cook evenly. Once the shrimp are no longer pink, remove them from the pan and set aside.
Next, heat the remaining tablespoon of canola oil in then pan. Then, add in the diced onion and garlic; cook until softened.
Once the onions have softened, add in the peas and corn. For this recipe, you could use either frozen peas and corn, or fresh. Canned would work as well, just be sure to drain off all of the liquid before adding the pan.
Stir the peas and corn until they are warmed through, about a minute.
Then, add in the cooked brown rice, the sauce, and the cooked shrimp. Stir well to combine.
Add the scrambled eggs
The next part could be optional, but totally necessary in my opinion. Scrambled eggs in fried rice makes it so creamy and flavorful.
Firstly, push all of the fried rice to the edges of the pan and make a spot in the middle of the pan for the eggs. Pour in two beaten eggs and let sit for a minute.
Once the eggs start to cook, use a fork or spoon to gently stir the eggs to a scrambled consistency. Then, when the eggs are cooked, combine them with the remaining ingredients.
Stir the eggs in with the rice and serve. So delicious, healthy, and easy, you may never call for takeout again.
Hope you love this simple and delicious recipe for Shrimp Fried Brown Rice. Be sure to comment below if you try it. Enjoy!
Shrimp Fried Brown Rice
- 1 cup brown rice, dry (could use 3 cups cooked rice)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound shrimp, deveined with tail removed
- 1 cup diced onion (about half an onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen or fresh
- 1 cup peas frozen or fresh
- 2 large eggs
- Bring rice and 2 cups of water to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook until rice is al dente, according to package directions, about 35 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger paste. Set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the shrimp and cook until pink, about 2-3 minutes. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add in another tablespoon of canola oil and cook the onions and garlic until softened, about 3 minutes. Add in the corn and peas and cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the brown rice, sauce, and shrimp and cook for about a minute.
- Push the rice mixture to the sides of the pan and crack the two eggs into the middle of the pan. Use a fork to scramble. When eggs have set, mix into the rice mixture. Serve warm.