So easy and so comforting, this Baked Tortellini Casserole recipe is no-boil and has a meaty ground turkey sauce with creamy ricotta cheese.
I love making recipes that require little clean up and are so satisfying! This Baked Tortellini Casserole is both. Creamy and cheesy, this easy recipe is so delicious and can be made ahead with ease.
It seems there is always ground turkey and tortellini in my freezer, almost always Costco Kirkland brand. So coming up with this recipe makes weeknight dinner so much easier with less trips to the grocery store.
Have a lot of ground turkey to use up? Don’t miss my post on recipes to make using Costco Butterball Ground Turkey.
How to Make Baked Tortellini Casserole
To make, in a large skillet, cook the garlic, onions, ground turkey, and seasonings. When browned, add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Off the heat add in the creamy ricotta cheese.
Now, here’s the great part: no-boil! Toss the uncooked tortellini with the sauce, top with mozzarella, and bake for 25 minutes. Easy, peasy!
Look at that cheese! You are going to love this recipe. So satisfying and easy, Baked Tortellini Casserole is the perfect weeknight dinner.
- Make this recipe vegetarian and omit the ground turkey. Amp up the nutritional value with veggies instead.
- Moreover, you can use whatever kind of tortellini you have on hand. This would be great with spinach and cheese, or even ravioli.
- No ricotta, no problem! Use cottage cheese, 4 ounces of cream cheese, or skip the ricotta part altogether.
- Make ahead tip: Make the entire baked tortellini casserole ahead of time but save the baking for later. This is a great dish to prep on the weekend and bake during the week.
- Looking for a great casserole dish? Check out this Red Baking Dish on Amazon.
- Serve Baked Tortellini Casserole with a side salad for a complete meal. Enjoy!
For another awesome no boil baked pasta, try my Baked Ravioli with Chicken and Broccoli. And, if you love easy 5-ingredient comfort food, definitely check out this Chicken Parmesan Casserole or this Baked Feta Pasta with Shrimp.
Baked Tortellini Casserole
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ onion, diced (about a cup diced)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey
- 2 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup part skim ricotta (could also use whole milk ricotta)
- 1 ½ pounds cheese tortellini
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in onion and cook for 3 minutes until softened. Then add in garlic, salt, Italian seasonings, and ground turkey. Cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until browned through, about 7 minutes. Add in tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Turn off heat and stir in ricotta. Set aside.
- Pour the uncooked tortellini into a 9 x 13 baking or casserole dish. Add the sauce over top and gently toss to coat the tortellini. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese overtop and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
P.S. Be sure to sign up for my weekly newsletter and never miss a recipe!
This recipe calls for tortellini but doesn’t say refrigerated, dried, or frozen. What are folks using ?
I usually just use refrigerated tortellini but any kind works!
This was our absolute favorite dish for dinner! Such a delicious and very tasty recipe! Definitely going to add this more for our dinner rotations!
Yum! I now want to cook this for myself!
This looks amazing and so easy. We are going to try this for dinner tomorrow night.
So far I have been having the cheese tortellini plain and wondering why it doesn’t taste that great. Here is a wonderful option I can play off.
Fast, easy and delicious. My kind of meal. Great for a crowd or potluck too.
It’s the perfect potluck dish!