Healthy and delicious Kale Egg Breakfast Cups are an easy and fast make-ahead breakfast. Bake ahead in muffin tins for a super healthy portable breakfast that’s freezer friendly.
Mornings can be stressful and busy. That’s why it’s always a good idea to have a healthful meal ready to go. These tasty Kale Egg Breakfast Cups ensure that you are fueling your body with what it needs for the day.
This recipe is simple to make and customizable. Because this recipe yields 12 breakfast cups, you can add different veggies, meat, or cheese for any or all of the 12 cups.
Going low carb? You could completely omit the bread in the recipe or add cooked potatoes or yams in its place.
Kale Egg Breakfast Cups are great for breakfast anytime of the week and fancy enough to add to your brunch menu. Freeze a batch and have a tasty and protein-packed snack whenever.
How to Make Kale Egg Cups
First you need to toast the bread. In a large skillet, add a teaspoon of olive oil and toast the bread cubes until golden. I like to use whole wheat bread when making these, but French bread or sourdough would work just as well.
Divide the bread into the cups of a well-greased 12 cup muffin tin. In the same skillet, add another teaspoon of oil and cook the kale and tomatoes along with the spices. Divide the veggies on top of the bread in the muffin tins.
Next, sprinkle the cheese on top of the veggies and press the mixture into the cup. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the muffin tins until nearly full.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Alternatively, freeze in a ziplock bag and microwave for a minute before serving.
Tips for Making Kale Egg Breakfast Cups
- Use a nonstick muffin tin, like these Amazon Basics Muffin Tins, and be sure to grease well with nonstick spray.
- This recipe is a great use of stale bread if you have any. I personally like to use Dave’s Killer Bread (21 Whole Grains) for this. You could toast in the toaster and then dice, or dice and brown in the skillet.
- Use whatever veggies you have on hand! This would be great with cooked diced potato, broccoli, spinach, or mushrooms.
- Same goes for the cheese, use what you have on hand! Not everyone loves Gruyere. This would be wonderful with shredded mozzarella, cheddar, or jack cheese.
- Add some meat if you want. Include diced Canadian bacon, crumpled bacon, or sautéed sausage.
- Be sure to whip the eggs throughly before adding them to the muffin tins. And pour slowly! You don’t want eggs overflowing. You can press down the veggie mixture in the cup before adding the eggs to help with this as well.
Kale Egg Breakfast Cups
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cut into cubes
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray, set aside.
- Heat one teaspoon of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the cubed bread and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and distribute evenly amongst the muffin tins. In the same skillet, heat the last teaspoon of oil and add the kale, tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Saute until cooked down. Distribute veggie mixture evenly amongst muffin tins.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the veggies in the muffin tin and press down gently. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until well combined. Pour the egg mixture over the veggies in the muffin tin, until each cup is filled.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until eggs are puffed and golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes then use a sharp knife to loosen the edges of the egg cups before removing. Cool on wire rack before refrigerating or freezing.
Be sure to sign up for the newsletter and get more tasty and healthful recipes to your inbox!
Love Easy Recipes? Me Too!
Sign up Now and Never Miss a Simple and Delicious Recipe!