Easy Ice Cream Cake is so delicious and simple, it’s guaranteed to be your new favorite birthday cake. Made with ice cream, fudge, Oreos, whipped cream, and sugar, don’t miss this easy ice cream cake recipe that guests will love!
You’ll never believe how easy it is to make a totally delicious ice cream cake. Save money and make this cake at home using the ice-cream flavors you want.
This cake does need to be made in advance and takes time to freeze between layers, so be sure to plan accordingly. Making it is simple, just let the freezer do most of the work.
This cake is totally customizable. Feel free to use the ice cream, cookies, and sauces you want (would be great with caramel or butterscotch!) So easy to do, give it a try today!
Easy Ice Cream Cake Recipe
The cake is make in a leakproof springform pan. To gain height on the pan, spray it with cooking spray then line the inside with parchment paper so it sticks out 2-3 inches above the top of the springform.
Next, add the softened chocolate ice cream (or whatever flavor you want) and freeze for 10 minutes.
Remove the lids from the fudge and microwave until the sauce is pourable. Layer on one fudge sauce, then crushed Oreos, then the other fudge sauce.
Freeze for 30 minutes until hardened. Add on the softened vanilla ice cream and return to freezer.
Freeze for at least 2 hours. Remove from freezer and let sit for 5 minutes then remove the springform and parchment. Return to freezer while you make the whipped cream.
Easy Whipped Cream for Ice Cream Cake
This is a super simple whipped cream recipe consisting of only whipped cream and sugar. Just whip using a handheld mixer and your done. It makes the perfect frosting for your ice cream cake too!
Spread a thin layer of whipped cream on cake and return to freezer to firm up. This is the “crumb coat” and will make the final frosting layer adhere better and have a more uniform appearance.
Freeze for 10 minutes and add on second top layer of whipped cream frosting.
If adding sprinkles or decorations, put them on now so they have a chance to “stick” to the frosting.
Return to freezer to firm up completely. Can be made up to 2 days in advance. Let sit at room temperature 10 minutes prior to serving. Enjoy!
More delicious cake recipes
Nothing is more special than making someone a birthday cake from scratch. Moreover, all of my cake recipes are easy to make and include make-ahead instructions. Check out some of my favorites:
- Peppa Pig Birthday Cake is make using Kit Kat bars and is perfect for your Peppa Pig loving kids!
- Limoncello Ricotta Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is another fan favorite cake that’s full of flavor.
- Giant Cupcake Cake is perfect for kids and adults alike! Don’t miss sprinkle surprise in the middle.
- Chocolate Toffee Caramel Cake is utter perfection and will satisfy every chocolate or toffee craving you have.
- Hatchimals Cake is a fun cake for your Hatchimals-obsessed kids! Includes step-by-step instructions for making this life like cake.
- No-Bake Cannoli Cheesecake is a delicious Italian cheesecake that tastes just like cannoli.
- Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cake is made with ricotta cheese and mini chocolate chips.
Hope you enjoy this recipe for easy ice cream cake. Substitute whatever flavor of ice cream you like and you may never buy a store-bought cake again!
Easy Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- 1 1.5 quart chocolate ice cream, softened
- 2 15 ounce jars fudge sauce
- 1 14.3 ounce pack Oreos, crushed slightly
- 1 1.5 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 cups whipping cream, cold
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- spinkles for decorating (optional)
- Grease a 9 inch springform pan with cooking spray. Line the inside of the springform with parchment paper so that it extends 2-3 inches above the hight of the pan. Spread the softened chocolate ice cream on the bottom of the pan and freeze for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove lid from the fudge sauce and microwave until it is pourable. Pour one jar of fudge sauce over the chocolate ice cream. Sprinkle on the Oreos and then pour the other jar of fudge sauce over the Oreos. Freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Spread the vanilla ice cream over the fudge layer and freeze for at least 2 hours. Remove from freezer and let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before removing the springform. Put back in freezer.
- Prepare the whipped cream: beat the whipped cream and sugar in a chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. Spread a thin layer on the cake and refreeze for 15 minutes. Apply a second thicker layer over the cake. If decorating, apply the sprinkles and other decorations now and freeze to harden.
- Remove from freezer about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Check out my other delicious ice cream dessert like Banoffee Butter Pecan Ice Cream Cake!
I made this cake for my grandaughter’s birthday. It was quite a hit!!!
yay! I’m so happy you enjoyed it!
I will be making this cake for the 4th year in a row tomorrow! Always a great hit! Easy recipe that everyone loves!
I’m so happy to hear that! 🙂
I’ve made this recipe for several birthday cakes, as requested after the 1st time I made it for my son’s birthday! It’s been a hit every time! I’ve followed it down to the exact recipe, and it never fails to be a crowd-pleaser. It’s super easy and delicious! Thanks so much for sharing it:)
I’m so happy you love this recipe! Thanks for the comment 🙂
Have you tried this in a 9×13 cake pan instead? I’m curious if it would be thick enough.
Yes, it would be thick enough. The only issue would be that you’d only be able to frost the top of the cake. But it works otherwise!
I’m such a visual person, thank you for the pictures! Turned out great, my son and family loved it! I plan to make it again for his birthday, but found our parchment paper was hard to stick around the pan. Maybe it was our brand. Did you cut the parchment paper to shape (circle) on the bottom pan too?
Hi! I actually spray the sides of the pan with nonstick spray before adding the parchment. This helps the parchment to “stick” to the sides. I never do a parchment round at the bottom of the pan.
I am going to make this cake tomorrow. I have one question. Do you take the parchment paper off the bottom of the cake also?
I usually just leave it on otherwise you risk ruining the cake. I hope you love it!
Do you recommend a certain type of fudge?
I usually use the Smuckers or Mrs Richardsons’s fudge you find in the ice cream section of the grocery store.
In the process now…for the whipped cream can it be cool whip Whipped topping or should it be whipping cream from a carton?
I usually just make my own whipped cream from the carton. However, cool whip could work too! Let me know how it goes?
This was wonderful!!!! Our family truly enjoyed it and our guests thought we bought it at the store. 🙂
Do you have any suggestions on how to easily remove it from the base of the springform pan? We took spatula, slid it underneath the bottom layer, then moved it around to gradually loosen it from the base. Eventually we were able to lift it off. It took a bit of effort, but it worked. Thank you for the great recipe!
Help! I tried to make this cake and my hot fudge layer never set 🙁 I bought two jars of Hershey’s hot fudge and only warmed them up enough to pour them onto the cake, what did I do wrong? The cake wasn’t pretty but it tasted very good 😁
Did you freeze the cake after pouring on the fudge? It should have set up then. Sorry it didn’t work out for you, but happy to hear it still tasted good!
I’m not sure what I did wrong either. I froze after fudge but it wouldn’t set…
I’ve heard that certain brands of fudge don’t freeze as well as others. Definitely don’t do Hershey’s syrup, as I’ve been told that doesn’t freeze at all.
Hi there. Wondering if you have to put your cake in a cake carrying container in the freezer or if it’s okay to just sit uncovered on a tray in freezer? Also wondering how long the cakes last?
If you’re using a springform pan, it’s good to wrap the outside base in foil and place on a pan in case there are any leaks. Once frozen solid, you can loosely cover it with cling wrap or store in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Enjoy!
This turned out absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for this awesome easy recipe that my family truly enjoyed.
Thanks for the comment. So happy you loved it!
Looks delicious and easy. Would I use parchment paper for a 9 by 13 glass dish ? If I decide to do the springform pan would I take parchment paper off sides for decorations and leave the bottom parchment paper on ? Thank you
You wouldn’t need to use parchment for a glass baking dish unless the dish was very shallow and need the extra height from the parchment. If you do springform, I just leave the bottom parchment on. Enjoy!
I had no idea that ice cream cake could be so easy to make!! And so delicious – thank you for the step-by-step photos, they were so helpful.
You’re very welcome! So happy you enjoyed it 🙂
Silly question, but how do I soften the ice cream. Getting ready to make this for my daughter’s 12th birthday this week. She wants cookies and cream ice cream. I just want to make sure I soften the ice cream correctly!
Hi! Soften ice cream by leaving it out for about 10-15 minutes. Pour it into a large bowl and stir so that the texture is all the same. Hope she loves it!
Oh, my! This looks like my ideal birthday cake! Thanks for sharing.
Wow. I can’t believe how easy it is to make an ice cream cake. Can’t wait to make this for next birthday celebration.
What a delicious cake, perfect for summer!
This ice cream cake is perfection! I can’t wait to try it out this weekend!