Learn how to make a homemade Peppa Pig Birthday Cake! With simple ingredients and a few steps, you can make a fun and festive Peppa Pig Kit Kat cake complete with all of your favorite characters from the show.
Kids are obsessed with this cute little pig family, and I can see why! They are fun and so adorable. I was more than happy when my little one asked me to make her a Peppa Pig Cake for her birthday.
I decided to make the cake featuring what Peppa and George (her little brother) like to do best: jump in muddy puddles! However, here the muddy puddles are actually delicious chocolate cream cheese frosting. So be sure to read below and make this tasty and simple cake for your little one’s next party.
How to Make a Peppa Pig Birthday Cake
Really, you can make this cake using any cake mix or recipe you like. I used my classic chocolate cake recipe that I use for making such favorites like Chocolate Toffee Caramel Cake. The cake batter is easy to put together but you are more than able to use a boxed cake mix if you like.
After preparing the batter and baking in two 9 inch round cake pans, let the cake cool completely. If you are making this cake ahead of time, you can freeze the cake layers in a airtight ziplock bags for up to a week in advance. Just be sure the cake is completely cooled before freezing.
Supplies Needed to Make the Kit Kat Cake
For this particular cake, you are going to need some supplies before starting. But don’t worry, they are easy to find and reusable for future cakes and for you little ones to play with!
Firstly, you are going to need Peppa Pig and her family. Target has this great Peppa Pig Family Set that’s perfect for topping the cake. Love that the birthday kid can play with it afterwards too!
Next, for the grass you will need a Wilton Grass Icing Tip. I love this tip and use mine all the time. I actually used it to make the fur on this Hatchimals Cake. For the flowers on the Peppa Pig cake is used Wilton Mini Decorative Flowers. This is an optional add on, but I personally loved the way it looked.
Lastly, you will need lots of Kit Kat bars: about 12-13 bars total. I bought the XL bars at the grocery store which had three bars in each package.
Assembling the Cake
Firstly, you need to make the frosting. Cream together the butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar. Set aside about 1/2 a cup of the frosting for the “grass.” To the remaining frosting, add in the cocoa powder and mix until thoroughly combined.
Add a couple of drops of green food coloring to the white frosting that was set aside to make the grass for the top of the cake.
Place a trimmed cake layer on the pedestal and add a layer of chocolate frosting on top. Place on the second cake layer and frost the entire cake, including sides. Save a tablespoon of frosting to make the “muddy puddle” for the top of the cake.
Next, stick the individual Kit Kat pieces along the side of the cake.
You will need about 13 Kit Kat bars in order to wrap the entire cake.
Decorating the Peppa Pig Birthday Cake
This is the fun part: decorating the cake. I used Peppa, George, Daddy, and Mummy Pig. Firstly, use the remaining tablespoon of chocolate frosting to make a discernible “muddy puddle” on top middle of the cake for Peppa and George to jump in. Also, add a bit of chocolate mud to their faces and hands.
Next, drop your grass icing tip into the frosting bag and add in your green icing. Start adding “grass” around the muddy puddle. Place the mini flowers on top of the grass if using. Add on the pig family and you are set!
Peppa Pig Birthday Cake
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (like Hershey's)
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (like Hershey's)
- 13 Kit Kat Bars (about 52 individual kit kat pieces)
- green food coloring
- candied flowers (optional)
- Peppa Pig figurines
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray and line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper rounds. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the cocoa powder and boiling water until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, oil, sour cream, and vanilla and beat with a hand mixer until smooth, about a minute. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and and gently fold in the dry ingredients. With hand mixer on low, slowly pour in the cocoa/water mixture until combined, using a rubber spatula to finish mixing together the ingredients.
- Divide batter between prepared pans (a kitchen scale is great to ensure equal amounts). Sprinkle in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips into each of the pans. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean. Transfer to baking racks and let cool for 10 minutes before removing cakes from pan to cool completely. Once completely cooled, transfer to freezer for 10 minutes to harden slightly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add in the powdered sugar and mix until well combined. Remove about 1/2 cup of the frosting to a small bowl with a couple drops of green food coloring, stir and set aside. Add the cocoa powder to the remaining large batch of frosting and mix until fluffy, about a mintue.
- Place the bottom layer of cake on the cake pedestal and trim to flatten the top. Add a scoop of the chocolate frosting and spread to about 1/4 inch thickness. Add on the top layer of cake and frost the remaining cake, including the sides, reserving about a tablespoon of the chocolate frosting.
- Break apart the Kit Kat bars to four individual pieces. Stick the bars to the side of the cake until entire cake is covered.
- Spread the remaining tablespoon of chocolate frosting in the middle of the cake to look like a muddy puddle. Position the figurines around the puddle.
- Place the green frosting in an icing bag fitted with a grass tip. Pipe on "grass" around the top edge of the cake and use decorative edible flowers if desired.
Sign up and get fun and easy recipe ideas to your inbox!