Are you looking for a delicious make ahead breakfast? Don’t miss this incredibly easy Breakfast Tart with Sausage and Cheddar. Such a crowd pleaser, this is customizable and can be made in a pie pan a day in advance.
Breakfast Tarts: you think stuffy, right? Not this one! This is nothing short of amazing and with sausage and cheddar; there is nothing stuffy about it all. Think of it more like a Quiche in a tart pan. It’s delicious whether served hot, room temperature, or even cold out of the fridge.
This breakfast/brunch dish is sure to please even the pickiest eater. The fact that I can get my 3-year-old AND my husband to eat, really says something. You can make this the whole breakfast tart ahead of time and refrigerate and reheat, covered, in a 300 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. It also freezes like a dream and tastes just as delicious. Plus, the ingredients are likely things you have on hand… stress free and budget friendly!
Customizable Breakfast Tart
Have I sold you on this breakfast tart yet?!? Well, did I also mention that it’s customizable! You could swap out the sausage for bacon or even veggies, you could swap the cheddar for Gruyère or Swiss, really the possibilities are endless. It’s just a great recipe to have on hand always!
So yes, this technically is a tart, so maybe you say “I don’t have a tart pan.” But hey, I say you do it in a regular pie pan that’s well coated with cooking spray. See, now there is no reason not to make this recipe.
If you do decide to purchase a tart pan, I highly recommend this Fox Run Loose Bottom Quiche Pan from Amazon. Love that’s it non-stick and such as great price!
Make-Ahead Breakfast Dish
If you wanted to make the breakfast tart ahead of time, you have two options: you could make the entire recipe and just reheat the day of, or you could make and refrigerate the filling the day before bake the whole thing the day of. Just make sure you don’t pour the filling into the raw pie crust, as it has to par-bake prior to being added.
To start, you have to saute the sausage until fully cooked and let it cool. Then, in a large bowl add the eggs, cheese, room temperature cream cheese, and cheddar. Blend this well and add the sausage. At this point, you could refrigerate the mixture to make your morning prep super easy.
So here you go. Like I said, this recipe is totally customizable, so have fun with it!
How to Make Sausage and Cheddar Breakfast Tart:
Sausage and Cheddar Breakfast Tart
- 1 unroll-and-bake refrigerated pie crust
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 6 oz pork breakfast sausage like Jimmy Dean
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- diced green onion for topping optional
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9-inch tart or pie pan with cooking spray.
- Unroll pie crust and arrange it on prepared pan. Gently press the crust into the bottom and sides of pan, trim any excess dough. Use a fork to prick the pie crust in several places (sides too). Brush on the beaten egg white on the dough. Bake the pie crust until slightly brown, about 10 minutes. Allow the crust to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, crumble in the sausage and cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on a paper lined plate and set aside to slightly cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then add in the cream cheese, cheddar, and salt, mixing until smooth. Pour the mixture into the cooled crust and bake until set and the top is golden, about 25-30 minutes. Cool the tart for 10 minutes before removing from tart pan or cutting. Optional, garnish with diced green onion.
I promise this Breakfast Tart will make all of your guests happy. Simple, declious, and make ahead, what’s not to love!
P.S. Be sure to sign up for my weekly newsletter!