Tortellini Primavera is an easy and fast weeknight recipe with veggies and cheese. Use whatever veggies you have on hand or substitute frozen vegetables. Healthy and delicious, you are going to love this one pot dinner.
Tortellini Primavera is a quick and easy weeknight meal that is healthy and packed full of veggies and flavor. Put together in minutes, this recipe is great to have on hand for busy nights.
For another quick weeknight meal, be sure to try my Lemon Ricotta Pasta with a simple no-cook sauce!
Kids and adults will both love Tortellini Primavera. And it’s packed full of veggies so no need to make a side dish. Substitute frozen veggies for fresh and use whatever flavor of tortellini you like. Also, you can substitute whatever fresh herb you like or omit it all together.
How to Make Tortellini Primavera
This simple one pot dish comes together in 15 minutes, making it perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
Firstly, start by boiling the tortellini and veggies. In a large pot like a Dutch Oven, bring water to a boil. Add in the tortellini and veggies. I like to use the cheese tortellini from Costco that you can get the refrigerator section. And by adding the veggies to the boiling pasta water makes for a truly easy prep.
Moreover, veggies for this dish can vary. Thus, you could use whatever fresh or frozen vegetables you have on hand like snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower, corn kernels, carrots, or squash.
Next, drain the pasta and veggies, reserving about a half cup of pasta water. Return the pot to the stove to make the sauce.
Parmesan Cheese Sauce
I love that this simple parmesan cheese sauce really perks up the pasta and veggies without weighing them down. Firstly, melt the butter and add in the flour and garlic to cook until lightly browned.
Whisk in the chicken broth, cheese, and thyme; and that’s it for the sauce.
Lastly, salt and pepper to taste and add in the pasta and veggies. Toss to combine and you are done!
Check out another easy weeknight baked pasta with my Baked Ravioli with Chicken and Broccoli.
Tortellini Primavera with Veggies and Parmesan
- 1 ½ pounds cheese tortellini
- 5 cups mixed veggies, cut up such as carrots, broccoli, snap peas, or cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 14 ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add in the tortellini and veggies. Cook for 4-5 minutes until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup of cooking liquid, and set aside.
- Return the pot to the stove and heat butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in flour and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add in the broth and bring mixture to simmer. Turn off heat and stir in cheese and thyme until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the veggies and tortellini into the cheese sauce. Toss to combine adding reserved cooking liquid if needed. Top with shredded parmesan cheese (optional).