Looking for a easy, quick, and delicious strawberry cupcake recipe to serve at your next party? Don’t miss these fun and festive strawberry cupcakes that you can make ahead!
Guests love the sweetness and surprise of these strawberry cupcakes. They are constantly requested and a favorite of kids and adults! Super easy to make and great year-round even when strawberries aren’t in season.
How to Make Strawberry Cupcakes
These cupcakes are made with frozen strawberries in syrup, which is why they are perfect to serve year round. Be sure to thaw and puree the strawberries before you start as you will need the puree for both the cupcake and frosting recipes.
And don’t be skeptical of the boxed cake mix and gelatin powder. These strawberry cupcakes taste homemade and the rich cream cheese frosting is nothing short of utter deliciousness.
Garnish with festive sprinkles and take the look of these strawberry cupcakes to the next level. Add shimmery Wilton Sugar Pearls and your cupcakes will be perfect enough for a baby or wedding shower. Don’t worry if you’re not great at frosting (I’m not!) because a little bit of sprinkles will make your cupcakes picture perfect.
A couple of tips here. Be sure to thaw the strawberry puree prior to making these. Also, you can make the cupcakes themselves up to a week in advance and freeze in an airtight container. But be sure to apply the frosting the day you want to serve them.
When making the strawberry frosting, make sure you are using room temperature butter and cream cheese. Store any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
Strawberry Cupcakes with Sprinkles
- 1 16.25 ounce box white cake mix like Betty Crocker
- 1 3 ounce box strawberry flavored instant gelatin like Jell-o
- 1 1/2 cup frozen strawberries in syrup thawed and pureed
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup frozen strawberries in syrup thawed and pureed
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- sprinkles for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with 20 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix and gelatin. Add the puree, eggs, oil, and water and beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth and combined. Pour into prepared cupcake tins and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on racks. (If making ahead, when cupcakes are completely cool, freeze in airtight container.)
- To make frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Add in the puree and powdered sugar (adding a cup at a time until desired consistency is reached). Spread over cooled cupcakes and garnish with sprinkles.