If you are looking for an easy, delicious, family-friendly meal that you can make-ahead, then freezer burritos are for you! Don’t miss this amazingly easy recipe, that is also super healthy and delicious.
With ground turkey, black beans, brown rice, and gooey cheddar, you’ll happily want to pull one of these burritos from the freezer for lunch or dinner. And it’s totally guilt-free! For another easy burrito recipe, try these Cheesy Bean and Rice Burritos!
I am always on the lookout for an easy make-ahead meal. Coming up with this recipe was a game changer for dealing with my hungry family. Make-ahead and either keep in the refrigerator for the week, or freeze to have for a quick meal whenever.
The secret to making these freezer burritos taste delicious and not turn into a soggy mess when you reheat them, is to crisp them on a skillet and let cool before freezing. Then wrap them in wax or parchment paper and put them in a ziplock bag and freeze.
Now you can have delicious freezer burritos whenever you want! And they are guaranteed to taste so much better and are so much healthier than what you find in the grocery store.
Super simple, delicious, and easy, these freezer burritos are a winner when it comes to frozen single serve food!
As usual, I like to get all my ingredients together before I start.
First step is to brown the ground turkey meat on the stove along with a tablespoon of the seasoning mix. Once cooked through, shut off the heat and stir in the cream cheese and salsa.
Next, microwave the rice according to package directions and mix with a can of drained black beans and another tablespoon of seasoning mix. Set up an assembly station with the meat, rice mixture, and cheese, and start rolling!
Add the ingredients to the tortillas and start rolling.
Makes about 14 burritos.
Lightly brown to seal the burritos and keep from getting soggy in the freezer.
Cool and wrap in parchment or wax paper. I personally like Pantryware Essentials DeliWaxPaper, which you can find on Amazon. Seal in ziplock bags and freeze for up to a month. Alternatively, you can store these in the fridge and eat throughout the week.
Freeze for up to a month. And if you love freezer burritos, be sure to check out my easy Breakfast Freezer Burritos with turkey sausage!
Delicious, easy, budget-friendly, freezer burritos are definite make-ahead marvel. Whip up a batch and you’ll be so happy you did!
Make-Ahead Freezer Burritos: Healthy and Delicious!
- 2 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey meat 93/7 blend
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix, divided I use McCormick
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 10 ounce bag frozen brown rice alternatively you can use a cup of any cooked rice
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 14 tortillas
- optional: salsa and greek yogurt for serving
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add the ground turkey and one tablespoon of seasoning mix and cook through. Off the heat, stir in the salsa and cream cheese.
- Cook the brown rice according to package directions. In a medium bowl combine the rice, beans, and remaining tablespoon of seasoning mix.
- Roll the burritos. Add about a ¼ cup of meat mixture, ¼ cup rice mixture, and 1 heaping tablespoon of cheese to the middle of the tortilla. Fold in the sides and roll into a burrito.
- Over medium heat, lightly brown the burrito to seal the opening, turning to other side to brown as well. Remove from heat.
- To freeze, wrap each individual burrito in wax or parchment paper and seal in a large ziplock bag. Can be frozen for about a month. To reheat, place on microwave safe dish and heat for about 90 seconds, until heated through.
Such a really satisfying meal! Everyone at my house loved it!
These are perfect for a make ahead breakfast!
These burritos are so delicious! I love making a huge batch and throwing them in the freezer makes it so easy to get breakfast ready for the kids.
It’s a classic that my family loves. Your recipe sounds delicious. I will add it to my menu. Thanks!
Lauren Michael Harris
These freezer burritios are perfect for those nights that I am running the kids to and from practices. They still get to eat a delicious meal, but I don’t have to try to find time to cook!