The ultimate comfort food recipe: Chicken Broccoli Rice Ritz Casserole a super easy to make dish topped with crushed Ritz Crackers. Cheesy and satisfying, this family favorite casserole is so simple to make ahead for busy weeknight dinner prep.
If you are craving something cheesy and satisfying, this recipe is it! Creamy and cheesy with a buttery crunch, it doesn’t get more comfort food delicious than this recipe.
Let’s just get something straight, this dish is all about comfort. No, this is not gourmet fine dining. It is about taking simple shortcut ingredients and creating something warming that the whole family will love.
So open up a good ole fashioned can of Campbell’s Cream of Chicken soup and some sleeves of Ritz Crackers and behold the magic that happens when you take a helping hand from these classic pantry staples.
How to Make Chicken Broccoli Rice Ritz Cracker Casserole
There are a lot of components to the name of this dish, but that’s because it includes nearly every ingredient that’s in it! This is a simple one dish dinner that has a veggie, grain, protein, and dairy in it, so you’re good to go. Plus this recipe is very forgiving, so use what you have and make substitutions as you like.
Firstly, you need your chicken. You have a couple of options here:
- Rotisserie Chicken is great because you can just dice and add it right in.
- You can boil your chicken breasts until just cooked through.
- Baked chicken or sautéed on the stove would be delicious too.
You will need about three cups of diced chicken so two breasts usually work. The measurement doesn’t have to be exact either.
Next, place the diced chicken in a large bowl and sprinkle on the seasonings. Add in the raw broccoli, rice, soup, sour cream, and cheese. Stir all together and add to casserole dish. (Note that if you don’t have sour cream or would prefer to save some calories, nonfat greek yogurt is an excellent substitute.)
With the rice, you can use brown rice, white rice, quinoa, or any cooked grain you like. I used white because that’s what I had on hand. If you need to make from scratch, just boil two cups of water and add one cup of grain and cook to al dente. This should yield you about three cups total of rice.
Sprinkle with Crushed Ritz Crackers
Lastly, lightly crush two sleeves of Ritz Crackers and sprinkle them overtop of the casserole. You can even get your little ones to help with this step!
To really put this dish over the top, drizzle melted butter over the Ritz crackers before sending this in the oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes until bubbly and golden.
So warming and tasty, I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Chicken Broccoli Rice Ritz Casserole
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast, cubed* (from about 2 breasts)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups cooked white rice (from about 1 cup uncooked)
- 1 10.5 ounce can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (like Cambell’s)
- 1 cup sour cream (can substitute greek yogurt)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 sleeves Ritz Crackers, lightly crushed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (one stick)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish or 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cooked chicken, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Mix in the broccoli, white rice, soup, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. Pour the mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the crushed Ritz Crackers overtop of the chicken mixture. Pour the melted butter over the crackers. Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes, until casserole is bubbly. If it starts to brown too quickly, place foil overtop. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Love Easy Recipes? Me Too!
Sign up Now and Never Miss a Simple and Delicious Recipe!