Candy Cane Kiss Cookies are made with Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses and are the perfect holiday cookie! Don’t miss this festive and easy-to-make Christmas treat that’s great for cookie exchanges or your holiday dessert table.
Be the star of the treat exchange with this cute and tasty Christmas cookie. This fun recipe gets its mild peppermint flavors with the addition of crushed candy canes and Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses.
Why This Recipe Works
This cookie recipe has been tested and perfected! After years of making them for the holidays, they truly are the one of my most requested holiday treats.
The secret to getting the ideal texture and flavor for this cookie is using crushed candy canes instead of peppermint extract – which can sometimes be overwhelming. Plus, the crushed candy canes give the cookie the perfect texture.
Topping off the cookie with a Hershey’s Candy Cane Kiss gives the recipe both a festive holiday look as well as a delicious peppermint treat. This makes it perfect for holiday cookie exchanges too.
When you bite into the cookie you get the combination of the soft cookie with candy cane pieces and a bit of the white chocolate from the kiss. It really is the perfect peppermint cookie!
This is a fairly simple cookie to make. The base of the cookie consists of your typical ingredients: flour, sugars, butter, egg, vanilla, baking soda, and salt.
The two necessary ingredients for these cookies are:
- Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses
- Crushed Candy Canes
If you can’t find Candy Cane Kisses, you could always substitute regular Hershey Kisses. Also, crushed candy cane is fairly easy to find during the holiday season. But, you can always crush your own candy canes using a rolling pin and ziplock bag.
How to make Candy Cane Kisses Cookies
This recipe comes together fast and can be made in one bowl. All you need to make them is a baking sheet, mixing bowl, hand mixer, and rubber spatula. It helps to have a small cookie scoop as well to ensure that all of the cookies are the same size.
The first step is to use the handheld mixer to beat together the butter and sugar. Second, add in the egg and vanilla, and mix until combined.
Then, add in the flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix until well combined. The mixture will be crumbly. Next, add in the candy cane pieces.
Use your rubber spatula to fold the candy cane pieces into the dough. You will see (in step 5) as you work the dough it starts to come together. Then, use your cookie scoop to measure out the dough. Roll into balls and place on the baking sheet.
Bake the cookies in a preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes. The cookies will not change in color much. Then, remove them from the oven and immediately place a Hershey’s Candy Cane Kiss on the top of the warm cookie.
Be careful not to press the kiss too far into the cookie. You want to just lightly press it on top. Otherwise the kiss will melt and lose its shape. To prevent the kiss from melting and to speed up the cooling process, you can place the cookies in the refrigerator or freezer.
Continue to cool the cookies on the baking sheet. Move to a wire baking rack to cool completely when set enough to move.
Recipe Expert Tips
- Use room temperature butter and eggs to make a smooth dough.
- To crush the candy canes, place unwrapped candy canes in a ziplock bag and hit with a rolling pin.
- No candy canes? Substitute any peppermint-flavored candy to yield about ¼ cup crushed candy total.
- Have the Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses unwrapped and ready to go once the cookies come out of the oven.
- Press the kisses into the cookies using a twisting motion and once the kisses are in the cookies, don’t touch them!
- To speed up cooling time, place the cookies in the refrigerator.
To keep the kiss from melting onto to your cookie, don’t press the kiss too far into the warm cookie. Refrigerate or freeze the cookie immediately to prevent the kiss from any further melting.
Peppermint cookies have the tendency to give everything around them a minty flavor. So it’s best to store them separate from other cookies or treats. I like to keep mine in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator or freezer.
Candy Cane Kiss Cookies
- ½ cup butter, softened one stick
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups flour (290 grams)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup crushed candy canes (about 3 candy canes)
- 24 Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses (unwrapped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with silicon baking pad or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand up mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Fold in the crushed candy canes. (The dough will be slightly crumbly.)
- Use a cookie scoop to measure out evenly-sized balls of dough. Roll into balls and place on cookie sheet without flattening. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and immediately press a kiss into the center of the cookie careful not to push too far in. Let the cookie rest for 5 minutes on baking sheet then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Refrigerate to fully harden the kiss. Store in an airtight container.
- These cookies are great to make ahead and get a start on your holiday baking. You can freeze in an airtight container for up to a month.
- Have the Candy Cane Kisses unwrapped and ready to press into the cookies right when they get out of the oven.
- Don’t press the kiss too far into the cookie or it will melt.
- To help the kiss keep its shape, you can place the cookies in the refrigerator or freezer to cool faster.
- Don’t store the cookies in the same container as other cookies. The peppermint flavor could alter the flavors of the other cookies.