Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Brown Sugar Crumble is sure to be your new favorite way to serve mashed sweet potatoes. Perfect make-ahead side dish for Thanksgiving Dinner.
Sweet, creamy, and oh-so-satisfying, this Sweet Potato Casserole recipe has it all. Delicious and silky mashed sweet potatoes and a crunchy pecan brown sugar topping, makes it the perfect mashed sweet potatoes to serve for the holidays.
When it comes to preparing a big and important meals like Thanksgiving Dinner or Christmas Day Dinner, delicious and easy make-ahead recipe are key to success. Thus, that’s why I’ve been making this Sweet Potato Casserole recipe for years. Moreover, it’s a recipe that everyone loves, turns out perfect every time, and can be totally made in advance.
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole
Firstly, peel and dice the sweet potatoes into large chunks. Secondly, place in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook until the sweet potatoes are fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and return to pan.
(The clip on strainer I have is such a timer and colander saver! Get yours on Amazon: Clip on Strainer)
Next, mash the sweet potatoes to desired consistency. You can use a potato masher, ricer, or even a handheld mixer to achieve the desired texture. Lastly, add in the brown sugar, butter, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg, and salt to taste. Stir to combine.
Spread sweet potato mixture into a coated 9 x 9 baking pan or casserole dish. If baking immediately, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Lastly, make the crumble topping by stirring together the flour, brown sugar, and pecan pieces. Add in the cubed butter and combine using your hands and squeezing the mixture together.
Finally, sprinkle the crumble topping over the sweet potatoes. At this point you can either bake immediately or refigerate until ready to bake. (Casserole can be made up to 2 days in advance.)
Bake for 35 minutes. If the topping gets too brown, just cover with foil.
Be sure to check out my other delicious and simple holiday recipes like:
Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Brown Sugar Crumble
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (yams)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (add more to taste)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pecan, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, diced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into a large dice. Place in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for about 10 minutes until sweet potatoes are fork tender. Drain and return to pot.
- Use a potato masher, ricer, or hand mixer to mash sweet potatoes to desired consistency. Add in remaining ingredients, through salt, and mix well. Pour mixture into a 9 x 9 inch baking dish or casserole dish.
- Crumble Topping. To make the topping, toss together the brown sugar, pecans, and flour. Add in the diced butter and use your hands to incorporate. Sprinkle the topping over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes until bubbly and heated though. If the topping starts to get to dark during cooking, cover with foil or a lid.