Easy and delicious Salmon in Foil is a quick and tasty fish recipe baked with caramelized onions, lemon, and dill. Moist and flavorful, this is a super healthy dish that your family and friends will love!
Say goodbye to boring fish with this delicious Salmon recipe featuring caramelized onions, lemon, and dill. A simple technique of browning the onions slowly beforehand, adding flavorful dill and lemon, then topping the fish before baking, gives this salmon a ton of flavor without adding additional fat. Baking in foil ensures it stays moist and makes clean up a breeze!
This would be a great dish to serve for a brunch, holiday meal, or Christmas Eve dinner. Moreover, I love that you can make it ahead with ease and the flavor are amazing. Excellent served over a bed of couscous or quinoa, a side salad, or try with my Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic.
If you love healthy make-ahead recipes, try this delicious Parsley Quinoa Chickpea Salad or Easy Vegetable Quinoa Salad. If you have leftover tomatoes, give this Italian Tomato Onion Salad a try and serve with a side of crusty bread.
How to Make Salmon in Foil
Step 1: Prepare the Topping
Firstly, in a medium skillet, brown the onions in olive oil over medium low heat until they start to turn golden in color, about 20 minutes. Then, turn off the heat and add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and dill. Allow to cool slightly.
Step 2: Wrap the Salmon in Foil and Bake
Secondly, place the salmon on top of a large piece of heavy duty foil. Make sure you use enough foil to be able to generously fold over the salmon. Additionally, use two sheets on top of each other if necessary so that you can wrap the salmon in the foil. Spoon the onion mixture on top of the salmon.
Then, fold the foil over and crimp the edges together to create a packet for the salmon. Place on top of a baking sheet.
Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes before opening the foil packet.
Lastly, garnish with lemon slices and any extra dill leaves. As for clean up, just toss the foil and you’re done!
For more delicious salmon recipes, be sure to check out:
Hope you love this recipe for salmon with caramelized onions! Be sure to comment below if you try it. Enjoy!
Salmon with Caramelized Onions, Lemon, and Dill
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion (about one large onion)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 ½ pound salmon, skin removed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 20 minutes. Turn off heat. Stir in salt, lemon juice, lemon zest, and dill. Set aside.
- Lay out a large piece of foil on a baking sheet. Place salmon on foil and spread onion mixture on top of the salmon. Fold the foil over the salmon and fold edges and ends together to make a packet for the salmon. Bake for 20 minutes. Let rest in foil for 5 minutes before opening foil pack.