Delicious and easy Glazed Cranberry Orange Muffins are made with fresh cranberries, orange zest, and have a sweet orange glaze. Perfect treat for your holiday brunch!
Why this recipe is the best!
Cranberry Orange Muffins are a simple and delicious muffin that’s easy to make and is a great way to use up leftover cranberries. These muffins stay super moist and have the perfect combination of sweetness and tartness.
Plus, the cranberry and orange combination work perfectly together. Make these for the holidays or anytime you want a treat!
Also, don’t worry about this muffin being tart or sour. The sweetness of the orange juice and sugar balance out the cranberry perfectly. Also, you’ll find that this is a great muffin to have on hand for brunches or a quick weekday breakfast.
Moreover, muffins are great to have in the refrigerator or freezer at all times. They make a great snack and are perfect to eat on the go. Personally, these muffins are almost always in my fridge after the holidays. It’s the perfect use for leftover cranberries from Thanksgiving!
These muffins are made with basic muffin ingredients like flour, sugar, baking soda, butter, milk and eggs. Here’s what makes the really special:
- Cranberries: fresh cranberries are perfect for these muffins. You can use frozen cranberries, but dried sweetened cranberries are not a good substitute.
- Orange: there is both orange juice and orange zest in this recipe. If you don’t have fresh oranges, you can use orange juice and omit the zest.
- Glaze: the simple powdered sugar and orange juice glaze adds a nice finishing touch to these muffins. However, they are delicious without the glaze too.
How to Make Cranberry Orange Muffins
This simple muffin is quick to put together. Firstly, you need to grease a standard muffin pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Then, in a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together using a handheld mixer. Next, add in the orange juice, milk, egg, and orange zest and blend. Note that the mixture will look lumpy.
Lastly, add in the flour and stir until combined. Fold in the cranberries and then scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan.
I like to use a muffin scoop to ensure even doneness. Chill on a cooling rack before adding glaze.
Simple Orange Glaze
This simple orange glaze is a great addition to your cranberry orange muffins. It takes seconds to put together and makes the muffins extra special.
All you need is powdered sugar and orange juice. Just simply whisk together and spoon over top of the cooled muffins… that’s it!
If you are in the market for a new muffin tin, be sure to check out my favorite AmazonBasics Nonstick Carbon Steel Muffin Pan – 2-Pack.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- If your cranberries are frozen, microwave them for a minute then roughly chop using a sharp knife. Or you can leave them whole for a tart bite, delicious!
- If you are looking for a tarter muffin, omit the milk and use orange juice instead.
- Note that the glaze makes enough to lightly drizzle over the dozen muffins. If you want a heavier glaze, double the amount of powdered sugar and orange juice you use.
- Be sure to test doneness of the muffins using a toothpick as the color of the muffin doesn’t change much when baking.
- Apply the glaze when the muffins are cooled so it adheres better.
- Make-ahead Cranberry Orange Muffins and freeze in an airtight container for up to two months.
Use leftover cranberries to make simple cranberry muffins. Or use them to make a cranberry orange spice cake or cranberry Moscow mule. For a tart treat, dip fresh cranberries in sugar water and coat them in sugar for delicious sugared cranberries.
Yes, just microwave them for a minute to soften before adding to batter. You can add them frozen, just plan on baking the muffins for an extra minute or two.
I hope you love this recipe for glazed Cranberry Orange Muffins. Be sure to comment below if you try them. Enjoy!
Cranberry Orange Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 orange, zested (about a tablespoon of zest)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, roughly diced or whole
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners or spray with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the orange juice, milk, egg, and zest and beat to combine. (Mixture will be lumpy) Stir in the dry ingredients. Fold in the cranberries.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and orange juice, adding more or less juice until desired consistency is reached. Drizzle overtop of cooled muffins.