Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip is made with raw chicken and is cooked entirely in the slow cooker! You’re going to love this easy 6 ingredient dip that’s great for any occasion.
Buffalo Chicken Dip is hands down the perfect party food, because it tastes just like buffalo chicken wings. Serve with tortilla chips and celery sticks.
If you love quick and easy appetizers dips, be sure to check out this Baked Ricotta Dip or this flavorful Eggplant Caponata Dip! And, don’t miss my favorite Caramelized Onion Dip, another must-have for your next party. For another simple slow cooker meal, check out my Slow Cooker Ham recipe.
Why this recipe is the BEST!
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip is a great recipe to have on hand for casual get togethers, fun parties, or an awesome game day food (hello Super Bowl party!) It’s even great for the holidays.
This is the perfect simple recipe because it’s made entirely in the slow cooker. No need to cook the chicken ahead of time here.
The combination of ingredients makes this dish extra special. Spicy sauce combined with creamy cheese and pulled chicken, it’s a flavor combo anyone would love.
The slow cooker makes this dish extra low maintenance and perfect for a party. It stays warm and you don’t have worry about plating it.
If you’ve never tried Buffalo Chicken, this is the recipe for you. Great as a dip, this is also delicious as a filling for a sandwich or wrap, or toss with some pasta for a quick and easy dinner!
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip is made with just a few ingredients: raw chicken, ranch seasoning, cream cheese, mozzarella, hot sauce, sour cream, and kosher salt.
- Chicken Breasts: many recipes call for cooked shredded chicken. Here, you cook the chicken in the slow cooker before adding the other ingredients. I like to use skinless chicken breasts because they shred easily without any bones.
- Hot Sauce: the hot sauce used in this recipe is Frank’s Red Hot. This is a cayenne pepper sauce and my personal favorite with Buffalo Chicken Dip. You can substitute any sauce you like, and if you want less spice, just use half of the amount listed.
- Cream Cheese: low fat cream cheese can be used here. Try to have the cream cheese room temperature before adding so that it stirs in better.
- Mozzarella: I like the cheesy texture you get from melted mozzarella. However, you can change up the flavors of the dip by using pepper jack cheese, cheddar, or even gouda.
Read on to see how simple this recipe is to make!
How to Make Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
Making Buffalo Chicken Dip in a slow cooker is so simple! And, there is no need to cook and shred the chicken ahead of time. You can do it all in the same slow cooker.
Step 1: spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Then add in the chicken breasts. Sprinkle with about half of the ranch seasoning. Set the slow cooker to high, cover, and cook until the chicken is done, about 2-3 hours.
Step 2: using two forks, shred the chicken into small pieces. You can also use a handheld mixer to shred the chicken in the slow cooker.
Step 3: turn the slow cooker to low and add in the remaining ranch seasoning, cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, and half of the mozzarella cheese. Stir it altogether and cover.
Step 4: cook until the ingredients are all melted and gooey, about an hour. Stir the mixture together well. Then add in the remaining cheese and cover until melted. Sprinkle with sliced green onion.
Serve straight out of the slow cooker or transfer to a serving bowl and top with chopped green onions and a couple dashes of hot sauce. Serve with celery and tortilla chips.
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip is a simple and easy to make recipe. Here are my tips and tricks to getting the perfect dip every time!
- Cook the chicken in the slow cooker. If you wanted to use precooked chicken, like shredded rotisserie chicken, just add it to the slow cooker along with the other ingredients over low heat.
- Frank’s Red Hot is the usual hot sauce used in buffalo chicken. If you prefer something not so spicy, just use half the amount of sauce.
- Ranch seasoning comes in either packets or large containers in the spice section of the grocery store. This gives it a distinct flavor. You will need ¼ cup total.
- Low fat cream cheese and sour cream can be used in this recipe.
- Use full fat mozzarella so that it melts properly in the dip.
Buffalo Chicken Dip FAQs
Slow cooker buffalo chicken dip is great served with tortilla chips and celery. You can also serve with potato chips or sliced baguette.
No need to cook the chicken ahead of time. The raw chicken breasts for buffalo chicken dip can cook in the slow cooker before adding the remaining ingredients for the dip. Just be sure the chicken is cooked through (165 degrees internally) before shredding it.
Leftover buffalo chicken dip is great tossed with hot pasta or served on a bread roll with cheese for a delicious sandwich. You could also top crostini with it.
You can make slow cooker buffalo chicken dip ahead of time. Just store the dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in the slow cooker and then add mozzarella on top to get melty.
So, if you love easy make ahead appetizers, check out my other delicious and simple recipes:
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Slow Cooker
- 2 chicken breasts (about 1 ¼ pounds)
- ¼ cup Ranch flavored seasoning mix, divided like Hidden Valley
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- ½ cup cayenne pepper hot sauce like Frank's Red Hot
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker set to high heat. Sprinkle on 2 tablespoons of ranch seasoning o the chicken, cover, and cook through, about 2-3 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, use to forks to shred the chicken inside the slow cooker. Add in remaining 2 tablespoons of ranch seasoning mix, sour cream, cream cheese, ½ cup mozzarella, hot sauce, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Set the slow cooker to low and heat the dip until melted and gooey, about an hour. Sprinkle on remaining mozzarella cheese and cover until melted. Serve warm with tortilla chips and celery.
- Cook the raw chicken in the slow cooker until cooked through (internal temperature should be 165 degrees). If you want to use precooked chicken here, just mix the shredded chicken with the remaining ingredient and cook until heat through.
- You can make this dip ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to serve. Then just place the dip in the slow cooker and heat until warmed through.
- Not a fan of spicy? Use half of the recommended amount of hot sauce listed for this recipe.
- Got leftover Buffalo Chicken Dip? Toss it with cooked pasta for a delicious meal. Or scoop it on to soft bread buns with a bit of cheese for a tasty sandwich.